VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was board so i got out the old red sharpie and colored my licence plate lights red.
is it legal?
phone pic http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Re: red licence plate lights. legal? (convincedVdubber)

i think if the cop can see the plate numbers from 50 ft. away it is legal. i think that is what i heard am about to sure though not to sure at all

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

why do you need red license plate lights?

·
Registered
77 Posts

It does not matter as in about 2 hours of consistant usage they are going to be back to clear anyway.

·
Banned
934 Posts

nope got a ticket for that already.
but her the funny part i then ran with no lights and never got a ticket for that

but i sure if the cop wanted to be a dick he give you a ticket either way.
on a side note renton had one of the nicest police station i ever been in

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I got pulled over by a Medina cop and he said my LEDcreation's licence plate LED's were illegal because they have to have white light and mine had "blue" tint to it. Gave me a warning. Took it out b/c I didn't wanna get hassled by any cops for something that simple. I also hear something about how you can't have Red or Blue lights on your car...or something like that.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

Quote, originally posted by convincedVdubber »
it looks cool

oh. hadn't noticed.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts

Quote, originally posted by convincedVdubber »

is it legal?

no

·
Registered
10,422 Posts
Re: red licence plate lights. legal? (Grabbit)

Thre's a link to the RCW in the Faq, but here you go:
Quote »

RCW 46.37.050
Tail lamps.
(3) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/inde...ction

In other words, you're just asking for trouble. they are illegal. I believe there's even another RCW that specifically prohibits any red or blue lighting, since they are reserved for emergency vehicles only.

·
Banned
934 Posts

on a side note i had spam the other night it was good untill then next day when i woke up and relize i ate spam

·
Registered
228 Posts
i just got pulled over downtown for cutting around a stopped car letting someone out and the dude didnt say anything about my practicly black tails. pretty wierd check pics ---v

1 - 15 of 15 Posts