VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

22461 - 22480 of 22515 Posts

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,159 Posts
He's a great hitter and team leader but I just feel the farewell tour is overboard. Papi says he doesn't care, it's about the team, et al but IMHO, he's gonna eat it up. It's about being shown respect and if he really didn't care, he would tell the opposing teams to not do anything.

Could you imagine Ted Williams doing a "farewell" tour?
While I agree with you, the '99 ASG was Williams' "farewell" tour...

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
While I agree with you, the '99 ASG was Williams' "farewell" tour...
I wouldn't call that a farewell tour. All Star games are full of tributes to players. I'm taking about 20+ celebrations taking place every week over the course of the season.

·
Registered
27,851 Posts
Considering the fata** ripped into Jeter for teams honoring him when he retired it would be typical Papi to do something now. I'd be surprised if teams would do something since his stature in the game is nowhere near where he thinks it is.

·
Registered
16,423 Posts
Price: 6 IP, 103 pitches, 10 K's, 5 hits, 2 walks, 2 earned runs. A couple of rough innings.
Tazawa: 1 IP, clean inning, 2 K's
Uehara: 1 IP, clean inning, 78 mph splitters, 2 weak fly balls and Napoli K on a mighty 85 mph fastball
Kimbrel: 97 mph smoke on the corners, 2 K's, 1 BB.

I'll be curious to see how this team pitches against a team with some offense like the Jays. Cleveland kind of sucks.

Cooper's favorite DH hit a 400 foot 9th inning 2 run HR for two insurance runs and a meaningless 2 out double with nobody on after Mookie's 2 run HR. :p

·
Registered
27,851 Posts
http://www.necn.com/news/business/B...-Fenway-Park-Expected-to-Rise--374876151.html

In an interview on Wednesday with 98.5 The Sports Hub, Red Sox President Sam Kennedy indicated that beer prices at the ballpark will only increase. The price of beer at Fenway is among the highest in Major League Baseball, starting above $7 a cup. Kennedy said that while they try to make concession prices family-friendly, beer prices will continue to rise as long as people buy it. :screwy:

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,159 Posts
http://www.necn.com/news/business/B...-Fenway-Park-Expected-to-Rise--374876151.html

In an interview on Wednesday with 98.5 The Sports Hub, Red Sox President Sam Kennedy indicated that beer prices at the ballpark will only increase. The price of beer at Fenway is among the highest in Major League Baseball, starting above $7 a cup. Kennedy said that while they try to make concession prices family-friendly, beer prices will continue to rise as long as people buy it. :screwy:
Meh, even as someone who has been known to enjoy a refreshing adult beverage or two while within the friendly Fenway confines, I have no problem with this. If they're truly going to try to lower other concession prices by charging more for beer, I say great. It's already ridiculously expensive to take a family of four to a game just for tickets.

Also, I haven't seen a $7 beer at Fenway since the mid-2000's. They must have introduced a sippy cup size beer that I haven't run across.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Meh, even as someone who has been known to enjoy a refreshing adult beverage or two while within the friendly Fenway confines, I have no problem with this. If they're truly going to try to lower other concession prices by charging more for beer, I say great. It's already ridiculously expensive to take a family of four to a game just for tickets.

Also, I haven't seen a $7 beer at Fenway since the mid-2000's. They must have introduced a sippy cup size beer that I haven't run across.
There's a 12 oz for $7.75. IMHO, it is what it is. The Sox could raise the price to $10 for the 12 oz. and people will pay it.

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,159 Posts
Couple thoughts after 14 games:

1) Hanley seems to have done a complete about-face this year. Last year, he reminded me of a petulant child sulking. He really seems to have had a fire lit under his ass this season. He actually is playing some pretty decent 1B. He's hustling much more than I EVER remember (he beat a throw to first on a dropped third strike last weekend!). He also seems to be participating more in the "community"-type things: I've seen footage of him more during the pregame shows shaking hands with "Middlesex County Honors Students" and "Breast Cancer Survivors" in the first three weeks than I can recall from ALL of last year. Maybe he just really hated playing the OF last year? Maybe someone gave him a talking-to? Don't know, but he seems like a different guy to me.

The bat has been so-so thus far, but I'm confident his numbers by the end of the season will be decent (~.285/25HR/90+ RBI)

2) Dave O'Brien is AWFUL. I admit I liked Orsillo quite a bit, but this isn't some knee-jerk reaction to "any" change: he's just not good. He talks a bunch of nonsense. Couple of examples of why I think he blows:

He frequently mentions "gossip"-type stuff about players: this one was dating so-and-so, this one got into a squabble with a teammate three season ago. I DON'T CARE. I'm not some fat US Weekly-reading housewife. I don't watch baseball to find out about this crap. Shut up and talk about the game in front of you. Stick to play by play.

He CONSISTENTLY says things like "the Red Sox need a homerun here to tie things up", when say the Sox are down 7-4 in the 7th with runners on 1st and 3rd. Why? Is there anyone watching that DOESN'T know a HR would tie things up? And do they really NEED a HR? Is that the only option? Wouldn't a triple and a single, or back-to-back doubles, or scoring one run in the 7th and two in the 8th, or any one of a myriad of different situations also tie things up? It reminds me of when I was seven years old, and would pretend to call the games. That's the kind of thing I'd say, because as a kid I'd want the quickest way for the Sox to get back in the game. It adds NOTHING to the play by play.

He sucks, but I guess we're stuck with him.

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,159 Posts
Price today: :banghead:
Farrell's bullpen management: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
27,851 Posts
Farrel needs a bullpen to be able to manage one. :p

I don't mind O'Brien. Then again, many nights I turn the sound off and go outside on the porch to have half a cigar and watch the game through the door with no sound. :D

Pleased with Ramirez' 1B play, too. He actually seems interested in BB again. He really was a fish out of water in the OF.

·
Registered
16,423 Posts
Pablo Sandoval likely out for the year with shoulder surgery. $95 million down the drain.

It's kind of hard to figure out the Red Sox. They're leading the league in runs and batting average. David Price has a 6.14 ERA but 4 wins. Buchholz is awful. The team ERA is 4.26 which is 3rd worst in the AL but they're somehow 5 games over .500 and in first place by doing the old Yankees thing where they feast on bad pitching.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Pablo Sandoval likely out for the year with shoulder surgery. $95 million down the drain.

It's kind of hard to figure out the Red Sox. They're leading the league in runs and batting average. David Price has a 6.14 ERA but 4 wins. Buchholz is awful. The team ERA is 4.26 which is 3rd worst in the AL but they're somehow 5 games over .500 and in first place by doing the old Yankees thing where they feast on bad pitching.

And the Yankees are doing the old old Yankee things and playing like its the 80s again:p

·
Registered
16,423 Posts
And the Yankees are doing the old old Yankee things and playing like its the 80s again:p
Meh. When their 3 or 4 big money guys come off contract, they'll reload and be their usual large market dominant selves. Ellsbury is the only expensive everyday player they have on the roster beyond 2017, right?

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Meh. When their 3 or 4 big money guys come off contract, they'll reload and be their usual large market dominant selves. Ellsbury is the only expensive everyday player they have on the roster beyond 2017, right?
Yup and Tanaka is the only big money making pitcher they will have.

Losing Tex and Beltran alone will clear up about 40 million.

Whats going on with Price I havent caught any of his starts?

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,159 Posts
22461 - 22480 of 22515 Posts