VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Redline or OEM VW Synthetic trans fluid for 02J?

I am ordering a new clutch and trans fluid so I need to know what fluid to get. I don't really care what it costs, I just want to do it right the first time. So please clue me in. And yes, I've searched already and didn't find anything.
For an '01 02J if it matters.

Modified by 01 Wolfsburg at 3:05 PM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Re: Redline or OEM VW Sythetic trans fluid for 02J? (01 Wolfsburg)

Redline MT90 is the correct weight/application. Can't go wrong with either fluid.
-Mike P

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Redline or OEM VW Sythetic trans fluid for 02J? (tyrolkid)

Quote, originally posted by tyrolkid »
Redline MT90 is the correct weight/application. Can't go wrong with either fluid.
-Mike P

Oops, typo. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Re: Redline or OEM VW Synthetic trans fluid for 02J? (01 Wolfsburg)

Post in the Transmission forum for more details, but some people say that Redline can cause synchro wear. I'd stick with the VW OEM G50, it's synthetic and guaranteed not to foul anything up. I know VW says it's lifetime fluid, but I'd say changing it every 40-50k miles of normal driving isn't a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Re: Redline or OEM VW Synthetic trans fluid for 02J? (jddaigle)

I say go with either, but make sure it is a GL-4 rated gear oil, because a GL-5 have been known to excessively wear the synchros on our trannys. I just put Redline Mt-90 75W90 in my car and it is a bit notchy when cold, but it shifts as good as or better than stock synthetic fluid when fully warmed up.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Okay, thanks fellas. I'll go with the OEM stuff.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

until you have tried Redline you won't believe the difference it makes... Change it out and you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better it is...

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Re: Redline or OEM VW Synthetic trans fluid for 02J? (jddaigle)

I would agree with that but it doesnt seem like the stock stuff has saved any of our syncros so far.
Quote, originally posted by jddaigle »
Post in the Transmission forum for more details, but some people say that Redline can cause synchro wear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts