VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this at the end of my other post, but thought more people would check it out here. One attempt I'm trying to accomplish is reducing my drivetrain loss (12.5%). If you've hit a wall on increasing horsepower and torque, why not try to get the power you already have to the ground more efficiantly? I'm attempting this through the addition of these three items so far which are all currently installed. Any other thoughts are welcome:
-Z-engineering aluminum Race 'dog-bone' mount. Allows all the power that's shifting the engine fore and aft to the wheels instead of having the stock rubber mounts absorb it. $200 from New Dimensions. Pretty harsh vibrations but I love the 'race feel. Car feels tighter, more solid, more predictable, more responsive. One of those poly-benificial mods.
-Unorthodox Underdrive Pulleys(sp?) - I HIGHLY recommend these to anyone! I put them in the same category as cams. It increases the NA portion of our motors in the high RPMs. As with the 3" DP, where power used to drop off up top, it now pulls hard to red-line. $376 to my door...1 1/2 hours to put in.
-Lightened and Balanced Flywheel - Revs clime much faster. I'm not too sure on this, but I believe it's the same effect of throwing lightweight wheels on instead of heavy ones. $280 from Autotech. (228mm)
Any thoughts or concerns welcome. Just trying to give a report on some of the mods I'm working on so others can benefit from my experience.

· Registered
430 Posts
Re: Reducing drive-train percentage loss...comments? (black2001aww)

Might want to consider Synthetic Transmission Oil. It could give you 1-2% across the range. Maybe more, but probably something like 2% is a reasonable estimate. I think Sport Compact Car gained like 7hp on an M3 with Redline, so that would be around 2%.
Also, it can't do anything bad, and you don't have to change transmission fluid often, so the cost is relatively small.
I've heard Redline and Amsoil recommended most often.
-Ian

· Registered
25,744 Posts
Re: Reducing drive-train percentage loss...comments? (swett)

quote:[HR][/HR]I think Sport Compact Car gained like 7hp on an M3 with Redline, so that would be around 2%.

-Ian[HR][/HR]​
Damn, beat me to the reference. Change 'yo juices...

· Registered
3,534 Posts

VWs come with synthetic tranny oil from the factory, and it is very good quality. It (according to VW) never needs to be changed, although I plan to change mine at 80K.

· Registered
313 Posts
Re: Reducing drive-train percentage loss...comments? (dbrowne1)

quote:[HR][/HR]VWs come with synthetic tranny oil from the factory, and it is very good quality. It (according to VW)
never needs to be changed, although I plan to change mine at 80K.
_______[HR][/HR]​
Id keep your stock stuff if its of decent quality.
On my Maxima (which comes with a good quality trans fluid), I put in Redline trans fluid and Mobil 1 5W-30 engine oil. I dynoed before and after the changes. The before dynos had stock fluid and conventional 5W-30 engine oil. There was no difference in the dynos. Run after run showed less than 1 hp variance + or - from the baseline.

· Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
24,902 Posts
Re: Reducing drive-train percentage loss...comments? (dbrowne1)

quote:[HR][/HR]VWs come with synthetic tranny oil from the factory, and it is very good quality. It (according to VW) never needs to be changed, although I plan to change mine at 80K.[HR][/HR]​
Wow, when did they start using synth in the tranny? I recall a TSB about replacing the stock fluid with synthetic to eliminate some noise issues.
In fact, wasn't it TSB 34-00-01? Oh yes, it was indeed! Refill transmission with synthetic oil SAE 75W/90 Part No: G 005 100 A1 (see appropriate CD ROM Repair Manaual for fill quantities).

· Registered
3,534 Posts
Re: Reducing drive-train percentage loss...comments? (syntrix)

quote:[HR][/HR]VWs come with synthetic tranny oil from the factory, and it is very good quality. It (according to VW) never needs to be changed, although I plan to change mine at 80K.
Wow, when did they start using synth in the tranny? I recall a TSB about replacing the stock fluid with synthetic to eliminate some noise issues.
In fact, wasn't it TSB 34-00-01? Oh yes, it was indeed! Refill transmission with synthetic oil SAE 75W/90 Part No: G 005 100 A1 (see appropriate CD ROM Repair Manaual for fill quantities).[HR][/HR]​
All MKIV cars come with it from the factory and it is speced on the VAG fluid capacity charts that I have. I don't know when it started...chris86vw might know, he's the one that told me and he used to be a dealership tech. This TSB may refer to simply flushing the tranny IF AND ONLY IF there is a problem and it and it needs to be drained. I can't imagine how changing the fluid alone would do anything.

· Registered
2019 GT350R
985 Posts
Re: Reducing drive-train percentage loss...comments? (20VsilvrGTI)

What about Quaife, power becomes 50/50, no more swapping power from one wheel to another, therefore eliminating that system and reducng drive train los

· Registered
430 Posts
Re: Reducing drive-train percentage loss...comments? (black2001aww)

I know about the lightened flywheel, I thought you were referring to the clutch itself.
I had previously assumed that the Quaife LSD would slightly increase driveline loss, but I have no information to substantiate that. I don't even know if(or how much) it is heavier.
-Ian

· Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

So that's a pretty good list. Wheels, pullies, flywheel, motor mounts, how about brake rotors or calipers. I know our stock calipers are heavy as sin. Maybe the one piece Porche aluminum calipers would be a good bet. Only problem is you won't be able to run 15's anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.