VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about re-posting this, but I screwed up the first poll and it doesn't look like we have the ability to edit a poll once the post has been submitted - at least not the way I did it
Anyway...I thought it would be nice for actual R32 buyers (people who have deposits at dealerships) to see which combination(s) are most popular among the Vortex crowd.

· Registered
357 Posts
Re: ***REDUX*** Actual R32 Buyers: What exactly are you getting ... (Justin @ 3 Rivers VW)

It's funny you ask this because my salesman called me today for this same reason.
He said the area rep was in town and that he was told to place orders for people who have a deposit. (I've been #2 since last Dec. of 02)
I told him that I didn't want to buy one until early March.
Dealer- "okay but pick a color and option."
Me-"this doesn't obligate me in any way, shape, or form to go through with the sale does it?"
Dealer- "well... um... we wouldn't have a problem selling it if you don't buy it, but we would have to keep your deposit regardless."
Me- "good, so you should prolly just go to the guy next on the list and call him."
Dealer- "okay." and hangs up
Then he calls me back 5 minutes later.
Dealer- "my manager wants me to get the people with deposits to commit to a sale.
Me- "I won't do that, the dealer my brother worked for said they will hook me up for below MSRP so if you think you can't do that also then just refund my deposit."
Dealer- "nobody will be able to go below MSRP, most will be marking them up."
Me- "I guess you'll have to refund my deposit, but you do know that there will be as many as, if not more of the R32s made than the 20th and that comparativly speaking the R32 is about $7-8k more? I have every reason to believe I will get this car for below MSRP even if it's only a couple hundred bucks."
Dealer- "well, I just don't know how that other dealer will be able to go below MSRP, good luck."
Was this guy kidding? I called him at least once a month for almost a year and then he has the nerve to make me feel like an idiot for exploring my options when he finally decides to call me and then tries to explain that it is unheard of to go below MSRP.
This guy can lick my nuts. Not many people will drop 30g's on a two door hatch, but I guarantee I will and he didn't even try to save the sale.
Can't go below MSRP?......blah.

Smoke and Mirrors, Smoke and Mirrors......
Anyway, I pick Blue with Leather.

This is in no way a generalized view of the dealers I have encountered but more this specific dealer. As a side note, I have always appreciated the info Justin @ 3 Rivers VW has at least tried to provide. It's more than my dealer ever did for me. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: ***REDUX*** Actual R32 Buyers: What exactly are you getting ... (Reflex20V)

Thanks for the kind words.
In defense of your sales guy, though, he was probably getting some pressure by his management to get commitments on colors & options. The dealership may have had a small window where they're able to spec out cars, and they probably needed answers.
He could have handled it better, but he probably thought that a deposit = a sale. I know I would have. I know that the R32 is a little different since pricing info wasn't available early on...hopefully you'll find exactly what you want at the price you want to spend. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
160 Posts

I gotta go with the salesman on this one. You gave him the deposit to be on the short list, you called him once a month for a year, and know you are mad over the same couple hundred dollars you think he shouldn't care about... I think you are both in the same boat, just depends on which side of it you are on...
I hope you enjoy your R32. Don't mean to flame you. But I don't see smoke or mirrors in this case...

· Registered
357 Posts
Re: ***REDUX*** Actual R32 Buyers: What exactly are you getting ... (JMcCurry)

After all this time it was like he couldn't just hang on to the deposit for a couple more months and go the the next guy on the list.
I think the reason they put the pressure on was because there wasn't a guy behind me or at least thats how it felt. All he had to do was let me keep my deposit and skip over me. But instead when everyone is being pressured, the salesman, the manager, and me, I've learned I don't buy anything under pressure.
But I do understand what both of you are saying. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif The whole thing was just a little irritating.

· Registered
4,134 Posts
Re: ***REDUX*** Actual R32 Buyers: What exactly are you getting ... (Dark Cipher)

Quote, originally posted by Dark Cipher »
Mostly EVERYONE is getting leather?!?!?! Why? I dont get it.

I suspect a large portion of the first shipment will be equipped with leather. In fact, I was told that all R32s coming to the immediate midwest area had leather.
Makes business sense to me: Make the initial release of a product in it's most expensive configuration while demand is highest.
Mike

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: ***REDUX*** Actual R32 Buyers: What exactly are you getting ... (Dark Cipher)

Quote, originally posted by Dark Cipher »
Mostly EVERYONE is getting leather?!?!?! Why? I dont get it.

I would prefer cloth, but I'd rather have leather now than wait for cloth later. Since all of the cars in my region's initial shipment are leather, I don't have much choice if I want a car before March/April.
VW is clearly banking on more people wanting leather, since 60% of US-spec R32s will be equipped with leather. Also, it has been my experience that there's a connection to perceived value. A lot of people paying $30K+ for a car feel that it should be equipped with the kind of luxury items that justify the price. Leather is one of those things that many people expect from a $30K+ car.

· Registered
38 Posts

I am not even sure if I get leather or cloth; my salesman said "who knows what we'll get". All I could specify is the color (red in my case).

· Registered
2,832 Posts
Re: ***REDUX*** Actual R32 Buyers: What exactly are you getting ... (Carrera 4)

Just got back from dealer and put a deposit down. Car is supposed to be here around the 27th of January. Deep Blue with cloth interior! $29,865 + tax is the price. Once the car comes in I will get a quote on my trade in. Probably will have to roll some neg equity. I am getting excited!

· Registered
2,832 Posts
Re: ***REDUX*** Actual R32 Buyers: What exactly are you getting ... (vr6maniac2)

$615 for destination and $199 conveyance. They also charge $199 for vin etching but I declined. Rip off. I thought it was $29,100 plus dest & conveyance.

· Registered
36 Posts

My deep blue with cloth should be here in a few weeks. I don't have a date yet, but I was given a VIN at the end of December, and the dealer said that it would take about a month, since it was already in transit.
I prefer cloth over leather. I had leather in my old 1995 Passat and cloth in my 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg, and I like the cloth a lot better. We have very cold winters and hot, humid summers, so cloth is much more comfortable. Also, leather loses it's softness over time and develops cracks unless you condition it regularly.

· Registered
2,832 Posts
Re: ***REDUX*** Actual R32 Buyers: What exactly are you getting ... (PLBoraVW)

I prefer cloth also. My 01 GTI had leather and it got really soft over the year I had it. My A4 has leatherette now which is a nightmare! In the summer the vinyl gets so hot and I end up sweating my butt off! No pun intended! I heard the cloth in the R32 will have leatherette side bolsters. From the pics it looks really nice and sporty.

· Registered
13,398 Posts
Re: ***REDUX*** Actual R32 Buyers: What exactly are you getting ... (peppeVR6)

Quote, originally posted by peppeVR6 »
$615 for destination and $199 conveyance. They also charge $199 for vin etching but I declined. Rip off. I thought it was $29,100 plus dest & conveyance.

What in the world is "conveyance???" Sounds like another rip-off for extra money on top of the destination fee.

· Registered
88 Posts

This is probably old but the fact that I haven't bought mine is because I'm waiting for the "gold rush" to be over and the price to drop. There should be enough for most of us enthusiasts. When one dealer called me almost 4 weeks ago, he said your color is here, it'll be gone this weekend. Funny, he called me back today both cars are still there and he's now offering me $1300 below sticker for the non-leather option.
It's all about patience. Just wait...they will come running after you. And this isn't the only dealership I've spoken to who is willing to sell below sticker. They will soon realize that there will be left overs since most people have already bought theirs in the first couple of weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.