VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There seems to be a lot of different methods of working on the coil pack problem so I'm going to take a stab at making a definitive reference. Please chime in if I post any misinformation, partial information (chime in with further info), or additional products or links that may be useful.

Note: I will be editing and adding extensively to this post as I get all my information together.

Coil Pack Harness Replacement/ Repair Kits

INA Engineering 4 wire Coil
7/31/09 - $187 shipped
* Splice into the factory harness
* Does not go all the way back to the ECU
* Uses Superior Wire quality to prevent the cracking issue from resurfacing
* Uses flex boots similar to what is found on the 2.0t to prevent cracking at the connectors
* Does not cover up any of your coil pack area. Easy to work on coil packs

USP Motorsports individual Coil Pack Replacement
6/11/10 - $39
* Splices into the factory harness
* Does not go all the way back to the ECU
* Uses superior wiring to OEM

Coil Pack replacement harness
6/11/10 - $50.27
* OEM part
1J0 971 658 L
* Replaces the harness all the way back to the ECU
* You will need tools to de-pin the ECU

Home-Made Version of the tool pictured above for repinning

It is two safety pins taped together. Apparently works fine and may just save you in a pinch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coil Pack Heat Shields
034 Motorsports Coil Cover
6/14/10 - $30
* Bolts to back of valve cover
* Available in: Raw stainless, Brushed stainless, or powdercoated
* Requires some trimming

ECS Heat Shield
6/11-10 - $65.01
* OEM Part #
8L9 121 659
* Uses snaps to button it up around the coils and wires
* Covers the wires of all the coil packs like a flap.
* Uses OEM style heat shield material

Coil Pack Cover off MkV 2.0t
4/28/10 - $18.89
Part # 06F 971 824C
* Can fit the 1.8t coil pack loom with a little trimming
--My personal choice (shown w/ INA 1.3 spacers and TSI coils)

Ignition Coil Pack Shield
6/11/10- $58.95
* Appears very similar to the ECS heat shield

1.8t coil pack rubber boot
Part # 4B0906102 (for 2 pin/ injector)
Part # 4A0906102 (for 4 pin/ coil pack)
4/28/11 - $4.25 / $6.11

The Audi OEM heat shield is P/N is 8L9-121-659
Price ????

Custom cover by forum user 'goodhews'
4/19/10 - $15
* Made of a mild steel
* Covers coil packs and wiring
* Attaches using bolts on back of valve cover

Heat Reflective Tape
~$15
Wrap your wiring in this and it will dodge most of the heat.
Wrap your wiring in this and also buy the rubber boots for your coil pack connectors and I think you'd be pretty golden.

DIY Links for Coil Pack Repair

How to install the foil snap type shield
How to repin the ECU and do a full rewire of the coil packs

Coil Packs

* 4 Bolt Style
Part #
Price
Distributor

* 1.8t Push Down Style
Part #
Price
Distributor

* Conversion to mk5/mk6 pushdown style
The use of the mk5 or mk6 pushdown coil is a new trend in the 1.8t tuning community which has shown to create a stronger spark and has allowed the use of a larger spark plug gap. This larger gap allows for a better burn and thus improved fuel economy, improved engine idle, and the ability to use more aggressive timing which will result in more power.

The mk5/6 coils will push straight into any 1.8t valve cover as is, but they will stick out the top significantly. This installation makes long term reliability questionable at best. To meet this demand a few aftermarket shops have created billet adapters to adapt the various 1.8t valve covers to fit these coils.

Long term reliability of mk5/mk6 coils in a 1.8t platform is not yet known, but as of this writing these coil packs have usurped the famed 'Hitachi Bolt Downs' as the coil to get for the 1.8t platform.

On a side note, mk5/6 coils are less expensive than Hitachi Bolt Down Coils. The caveat to this is that adapter plates are really required to make a proper seal and fit.

Mk5/6 coil packs are compatible with all 1.8t motors that utilize a 4 pin coil pack harness. The 3 pin harness in early 1.8t motors is not compatible with the mk5/6 coil packs.

Bolt Down Plates

* IE Plate for all 1.8t valve covers
$69.99 for all four adapters w/ mounting hardware

* 034 Plate for square 4 bolt style valve covers

* 034 Plate for 2 bolt style push down valve covers

Coil Packs

VW/Audi Mk6 Coil Pack (Revision F)
Part # 07K905715F
Price: $18.95
Distributor: partshaus.com

Mk6 Coil Pack
RED MKV FSI Coil Packs - 06E 905 115
BLACK MKV FSI Coil Packs - 07K 905 715 F
BLACK MKV TSI Coil Packs - 06F 905 115 F
BLACK MKVI TSI Coil Packs - 06H 905 115

Eldor Mk4 Coil Pack (version ??)
Distributor: IE
Part #:
Price: $29.99

'E' Bolt Down Coils

* OEM Part #
Distributors
Price

Related

Coil Pack Guide

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Nice post groggory :thumbup:

This will simplify a lot of the confusion about the differences between replacement options. I'm also thinking now that i should get a shield to dress up the bay.

·
Registered
854 Posts
good post. I still don't understand the idea of putting a metal shield over your valve cover. You would think that would keep the heat in and cause the wires to crack sooner. They do look nice though.

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good post. I still don't understand the idea of putting a metal shield over your valve cover. You would think that would keep the heat in and cause the wires to crack sooner. They do look nice though.
I think the metal shield would protect against direct radiated heat from the exhaust manifold/ turbo..which is the biggest killer.

I think of it this way...If I put meat in the broiler, what happens when I cover it with aluminum foil and what happens when I leave it open? Open = crispy delicious outside (dead coil wires). Closed = Very hot meat but soft and juicy. But even with that said, I think the OEM style heat shield is still the right way to go. I have no data to back this up. We need to get someone in there with a thermocouple and take readings at a few different spots over various driving conditions.

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Updated with DIY link for full replacement (aka the ECU full wiring harness in my initial post)

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey look, I found an old FAQ thread I made back in the old good ol days.

So free ^^bump^^ for me

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
^^^ It sure does. Nothing a Dremel can't handle. Greg, pick which ones to go up above and afterward I'll delete this Post like the W/M one.

-J:cool:

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think one is for 2 pin (injectors) and the other is 4 pin (coilpack.)
That's rad! I want to buy a set!

How hard is it to de-pin the injectors so I can get the wires through that little hole? This would look super nice!

·
Registered
413 Posts
groggory i really want pass by & drop u a fancy beer case ;)
thank you for such informations,to you and all who enrich our knowledge :thumbup:

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
groggory i really want pass by & drop u a fancy beer case ;)
thank you for such informations,to you and all who enrich our knowledge :thumbup:
No problem man.

I'll take one of these...

or

:) I love beer. Beer loves me.

But seriously. No problem. I hope these faq things help people.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Are you guys who've replaced the whole wiring harness noticing cracks all the way back to the ecu? Based on the level of PITA associated with changing the whole thing I think I may just take the INA route.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts