Year:2004
Make:Volkswagen
Model:Golf R
Mileage:182034 M
Transmission:Manual
Engine:N/A
Trim:N/A
For sale is my Reflex Silver R32 with 182,036 miles. Asking price is negotiable at $10,000 and car is in San Diego, CA. Mileage will continue to increase as I still drive the car. I am the sixth owner having purchased it with 124,000 miles in 2013. Ownership has been a blast. I am moving on but would like my R32 to pass to another enthusiast to keep it alive. Clean title in hand and always kept in a garage during my ownership.

I have maintained this car diligently throughout my ownership, but it is not a pristine example. There are three main issues that I highlight below. I have a maintenance log that I will share as a pdf with any interested buyers as well as a stack of paperwork and receipts. I also have a Carfax report that I will share. Full disclosure, I hit a deer with the car in 2014. Fully repaired under insurance with new OEM bumper cover. That is the only major crash that shows up and that I am aware of in the history of the car.

Car is on the stock Aristos with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (mounted 02/25/2021 at 171,501 miles so ~11k miles on the tires). Some curb rash on all four wheels. Paint is in good condition apart from a few scrapes (see pictures). No clearcoat peeling.

Maintenance:

Regular oil changes every 4k miles. Torco SR-1 or TR-1R Oil and K&N, Mann, or Bosch filters.

Haldex filter and oil changes every 20k miles (Last done at 179,486 miles).

Timing chains done at 157,362 miles

Clutch done at 139,084 miles

Compression test done at 176,637 miles. Results for each cylinder: #1 = 180psi, #2 = 175psi, #3 = 185pis, #4 = 180psi, #5 = 185psi, #6 = 175psi

Ignition coil packs and spark plugs at 150,112 miles

Known Issues & Flaws:

Major:

• Currently burns ~0.5L oil every 1500 miles. No apparent leaks, and I have had it inspected by two separate shops. Have not been able to find any indication of cause.
  • The R32 recently developed a coolant leak. I have replaced the lower radiator hose that had coolant leaking over it and the Y pipe for the upper hose. However, the upper radiator hose is NLA. There may still be a leak within this hose. I was previously losing ~150mL of coolant over 1000 miles. For the last 200 miles since the repair, I have not observed any drop in coolant. I will update this if it continues to drop as I drive the car.
  • There is an electrical issue that I am unable to track down. Currently, the rear hatch cannot be popped if locked (I have it set to be openable with the outside handle), and the right turn signal does not function. For the turn signal, the indicator lights work when the hazards are turned on, but the turn signal stalk does not work. I have replaced the CCM, Hazard switch, checked all fuses, and bulbs. Guessing that it is either a wire loom or the stalk itself.
  • Stock ECU is not installed but included in sale. See notes below in stock parts.
  • Pinch rails are chewed up (see pics). They have been like this since I purchased it and never caused me any issue other than it is hard to get the widow-maker on there and you must be careful where you place jack stands.
Minor:
  • Passenger side front splash shield fell onto wheel and rubbed through (see picture).
  • Scrapes underneath front bumper cover.
  • Wear on base of driver seat. I am planning to address this within the next month.
  • Sagging headliner over rear passenger seats. Also planning to address within the next month.
  • Stock air intake is not included. The K&N intake was installed by one of the previous owners and I never had a stock intake.
  • Tint on the windows has a few scrapes and scratches.
  • Only one key for the car and the buttons are toast. Pulled it apart and it is rusted our inside.
  • Crack around front emblem in the grill
  • Fault Codes:
    • 01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71) 37-00 - Faulty
    • 01336 - Company Data Bus for Comfort System
      80-10 - Single-Wire Operation - Intermittent
    • 01131 - Control Circuit for Turn Signals
      25-10 - Unknown Switch Condition - Intermittent
    • 00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
      27-00 - Implausible Signal
    • 00929 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Passenger Side (F221)
      27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Modifications:

My R32 has been modified over the years. My attitude was that if something breaks I would replace it with a better part when there is one available. Everything is listed below with the mileage when done if the change was made during my ownership. I am including stock parts that I have remaining in the sale but most of these changes were made because the OEM piece broke.

Engine:

Schrick 260/268 camshafts; replaced valve springs at installation 157,362 miles

United Motorsports N/A ECU Tune 112,976 miles

K&N Typhoon Intake Unknown

Gruvenparts billet coolant Y pipe 181,909 miles

Eurowise cast aluminum thermostat housing, cover, and alloy water pipe 157,362 miles

Vibratechnic engine and transmission mounts 157,362 miles

Transmission:

DieselGeek Sigma6 Short Shifter 141,000 miles

Suspension:

KW V2 Coilovers 168,889 miles

Neuspeed front & rear 25mm anti-swaybars 168,889 miles

Gruvenparts swaybar endlinks 168,889 miles

Gruvenparts adjustable control arms 168,889 miles

Powerflex Poly Bushings 168,889 miles

ECS 20mm spacers (Rear wheels only) Unknown

Brakes:

Stoptech slotted rotors 157,362 miles

Stoptech pads (*Rear calipers are silver not stock blue as the originals had seized) 157,362 miles

Neuspeed Stainless Steel Brake Lines 152,340 miles

Haldex:

United Motorsports Haldex tune 157,362 miles

Exhaust:

Flapper switch. Switch is installed to left of steering wheel. 147,725 miles

Body:

ECS Shorty Antenna Unknown

Glass headlight covers 160,??? miles

50% Front and 35% Rear window tint 126,500 miles

Interior:

VW RMT100+ Headset 145,500 miles

Stock Parts Included With Car:

Stock cams

Stock radio (not sure on code)

Stock ECU. Note: the current ECU (ECU2) in the car is not the stock ECU(ECU1), it is a replacement Motronic immobilizer defeated, R32 ECU. Two years ago, I had an issue with CELs turning on for the bank2 O2 sensors, tried new O2 sensor, new wiring harness, and was unable to resolve the issue. Best as we could figure out the stock ECU1 was no longer talking to the bank2 O2 sensors. Replaced ECU1 with a used one (ECU2) and transferred the UM tune to ECU2. Everything works great now. I passed CA smog last summer (June 2021) with the VIN mismatched, UM-tuned ECU2. No guarantees that everyone will be able to pass as the car sits, I may have been lucky. NO EMISSIONS EQUIPMENT HAS BEEN ALTERED ON THIS CAR!

I will include an upper radiator hose from a MkIV 12V VR6 car that may work in place of the upper radiator hose currently installed if the leak is still an issue.

Stock headrests for rear seats. Not currently in the car since they block the visibility.

Stock floor mats. Driver side is in pretty bad condition but rest are decent. Car has Monster mats in currently.

Other Goodies Included:

Ross-Tech VCDS Scan tool (Hex-V2) with both ECUs for this R32 programmed in. This uses 2 out of the 3 possible VINs available on this basic Ross Tech VCDS package.

Haldex Filter Wrench

VW/Thule roof rack with cross bars. Will include 2 bike racks with it as well if you are a cyclist and want them. Also a kayak/SUP holder.

Audi TT Spare wheel with Yokohoma Tire (mounted 02/27/2021, 0 miles on spare). Still have original can of fix-a-flat and 12V air compressor.

I have a total of 7 R logo wheel center caps; a set of replica (4) in silver and 3 of the OEM ones. The center caps regularly fall off two of the wheels. Also have 8 (4 blue, 4 grey) replacement outer covers that can be glued onto generic center caps.

Vibratechnic engine mount spacers; adjust stiffness and vibration

Set of wheel bolts for when spacers are removed

BFI Jack points. Never got around to putting them on.

Will update with additional pictures. Let me know if there is anything specifically that you want to see.