VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
That R is really nice. If brought to the U.S., I imagine it would likely push into the $45K-$50K range - especially with that exhaust. Damn shame we won't ever get it here. I suppose VAG wants U.S. customers who might buy a Tiguan R to go ahead and "move up" to Audi. But, without an SQ3 (which I thought we were supposed to get), I'm wondering what the option would be?

There are a few non-VAG options, though.. BMW X2 M35i, AMG GLA 35 SUV.
It appears that VW Group is not as anxious to fill out the bottom size segments of the North American CUV market as quickly as other manufacturers, and I don't blame them. It makes sense to work backwards from larger and more expensive products.

I think smaller hot CUVs will come, but for now they have delegated that role to the Macan and SQ5, and I think they've done it quite succcessfully. Also, both of those are pretty similarly sized to the SWB Tiguan considering the better interior packaging of MQB and larger exterior dims of the premium MLB cars.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
A factory Tiguan that can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds and has a torque-vectoring rear diff... Oh, but I can't have one. And it's not like there's even a performance Q3 variant I can buy.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
That R is really nice. If brought to the U.S., I imagine it would likely push into the $45K-$50K range - especially with that exhaust. Damn shame we won't ever get it here. I suppose VAG wants U.S. customers who might buy a Tiguan R to go ahead and "move up" to Audi. But, without an SQ3 (which I thought we were supposed to get), I'm wondering what the option would be?

There are a few non-VAG options, though.. BMW X2 M35i, AMG GLA 35 SUV.
That’s the thing though—it’s not like the same exact Audi, Merc and BMW models don’t exist in other markets. It’s just the typical goofy product planning: let’s bring in the Arteon as an upmarket offering in a dying segment while firmly sticking to offering nothing but the basics in the market’s hottest (and continually growing) segment.

They’ve watered down hamstrung their offerings in NA to the point where they’re not only bland and uncompetitive in their segment–they’re close to being bad vehicles. There is absolutely nothing exceptional about them in comparison to the Asian and even domestic offerings.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
A factory Tiguan that can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds and has a torque-vectoring rear diff... Oh, but I can't have one. And it's not like there's even a performance Q3 variant I can buy.
What's wrong with the Macan? The Tiguan R isn't available anywhere yet, so yes, you can't have one.

We aren't getting the facelifted Tiguan until next year (2022 MY), and it's certainly possible that the Tiguan R for North America is still in the cards before this generation is over.

·
Registered
S2000
7,323 Posts
What's wrong with the Macan? The Tiguan R isn't available anywhere yet, so yes, you can't have one.

We aren't getting the facelifted Tiguan until next year (2022 MY), and it's certainly possible that the Tiguan R for North America is still in the cards before this generation is over.
Maybe the fact that it's $50k for a base.

I don't even think a full R is necessary. A $35k 'GTI' Tig would outdrive every non lux CUV out there and be priced right in line with high level CRVs/RAV4s/etc.

The fact that Hyundai is readying an N Tuscon should be enough for VW to get on with it.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
What's wrong with the Macan?
Price and value proposition relative to what I actually prefer (see below).

The Tiguan R isn't available anywhere yet, so yes, you can't have one.

I realize you don't know me, or most likely my history with the VW brand, but let's just say I am very familiar with VW, and they are with me. I've seen you get quite exasperated with the TCL masses who seem to not understand VWoA's North American business model [as well as you do], but I promise you I am not a member of that particular group.

In all deference to your clever play on the literal, I want a VW SWB Tiguan R, and it's not coming to the USA. I understand why as well as you do, but for both of our sake, please do not spend any more time trying to tell me I should not want what I want :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
What's wrong with the Macan?
It's much slower, more cramped and worse equipped for the money. In fact, outside of the badge, I don't see any reason to get one period. Outside of the Q5, VW really has no compelling crossvers in the 40-50K range, and a Tiguan R could change that.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
In all deference to your clever play on the literal, I want a VW SWB Tiguan R, and it's not coming to the USA. I understand why as well as you do, but for both of our sake, please do not spend any more time trying to tell me I should not want what I want :thumbup:
Never spent any time telling you that you shouldn't want this, but cool. Maybe you'll get a hot Taos down the road that works for you or you'll like the ID.4 R.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Tiguan R is dream-car material. Of course we can't have it.
It doesn't make sense to give us fast VWs, they have Audis for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,485 Posts

There's plenty of room between the 315hp version above and the, what, 184hp of the current version we have. Even a 230 hp version of this would be welcome in the US.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
7,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I'm not sure if Audi is working on an SQ3, so currently their closest model would be the SQ5. Since that one starts at $53K there's room for a Tiggy R. VW execs have said they want to offer more R models here, so this or a Taos R would make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
So when the facelifted 184hp turd lands, will we find that some of the stuff shown in the facelift didn't even make it to the US like people are all of a sudden rudely finding out is the case with the facelifted Arteon now landing on US shores with the prefacelift tail lights and rear bumper still?

Oh, VW.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I must excuse my level of sarcasm, they should have offered the higher powered versions a long time ago

Reactions: reticulan

·
Premium Member
87,445 Posts
Looks so good but like everything else, of course we won’t get it here.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I must excuse my level of sarcasm, they should have offered the higher powered versions a long time ago
The regular Tiguan should've been 215-230 hp from day 1. It gets pretty crappy gas mileage as it is with the 184 hp penalty box, so what difference is 1-2 MPG to inject it with the right amount of power? It still would've gotten better mileage than the gen 1, which is...atrocious. I realize this segment is price sensitive and gas mileage sensitive, but are people prioritizing that stuff to the degree where 1 or 2 mpg matters buying the VW anyway? Those people are the Camcord crowd. I know Tiguan sales are good, but the VW is always a "riskier" sale and the less risk-averse crowd would probably rather have 30 more hp at the expense of a couple MPGs. I know I would. I was creeping the dealer yesterday and really liked the look of a clean white SEL-P-R they had kinda glowing in the twilight, but it just doesn't sit right to go to a bigger, heavier Tig than the one I have, with less hp.

That said, I'll concede it doesn't seem as underpowered as it actually is in day to day driving, had one as a dealer loaner for the better part of a month. That Budack cycle sure sounds like sh!t at idle outside the car though. Like a diesel with a problem.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts