VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you had any problems with the department of licensing or the insurance company when trying to register a car with a dash and engine swap (no VIN on the dash)? How did you deal with it if there were complications? Did a new VIN plate need to be fixed to the dash, or a new VIN number created? I'm looking at picking up a Golf with no interior (including no dash) and wondering what headaches I'm might be heading towards.
Thanks

·
Registered
14,095 Posts
Re: Registering a VW with a dash swap (Riderx56)

I don't think you will have a problem, my old car didn't have a vin# on the dash and everything went fine http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Re: Registering a VW with a dash swap (buddylove)

Ive done dash swaps and put the correct VIN on the new dash, had no problems. As for the engine, I dont think it should matter as far as registering it, but insurance may want to know if you ever need to make a claim.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had to do this with my old Jetta...There wasn't any way for me to get a new VIN plate for the dash.
You have to go to the state patrol office on 156th right off of I-90 and have them inspect the vehicle. An officer checks out the VIN #'s around the vehicle etc. They put a new VIN plate inside the driver's door frame and you are good to go.
I think it costs $10 or $15.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am more worried that the state or my insurance company may wonder if the car is stolen if there are no VIN plates (even with a title in hand) and there is no way to identify that the title matches that specific car. The car I'm looking at has no dash (or VIN plate) and I don't know if the other VIN locations are gone but I just want to see what I'll have to deal with.

·
Registered
861 Posts

theres a vin# on the raintray of a1's not sure
about a2's.
theres a little clear(sometimes) window on the plastic liner
that goes in there.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: Registering a VW with a dash swap (tommyleekowalski)

Yeah mkII's have the vin stamped in the raintray, and VW makes a little window through the plastic for you http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Re: Registering a VW with a dash swap (20vmkII)

on my car ...
it has a 96 dash on a 89 golf
the 89's original vin number i attached to the dash. it was jsut in place of the 96 vin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts