VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a couple of questions I know this topic must be old but I havent had any luck searching the archived topics.
I want to put a Reiger R-RX bumper for a gti onto my jetta. What kind of mods are needed? Does the body shop use my stock bumper and grill and cut below the rubstrip then attach the reiger bumper? Or is the Reiger bumper already a full bumper that requires a different mods to fit the jetta.
If anyone already has this setup can I have some pictures and information on what kind of work they had done? Thanks alot

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Re: Reiger R-RX GTI bumper mods for a Jetta (evix)

it is full front bumper....As far as I know, nobody in this forum done this. You are talking about lots of modification in order to make the bumper fit on Jetta. Why don't you just get GTI front end if you want that bumper that bad...?

·
Registered
35,225 Posts
Re: Reiger R-RX GTI bumper mods for a Jetta (ninja_van1sh)

First off, your listing on the left hand side of the page says you have a 2000 jetta widebody. Since you already have a WIDEBODY, why would you want to put a new bumper on the front, that will eventually have to be adjusted to properly fit your WIDEBODY, unless you dont have a WIDEBODY, and in which case you should remove that, since it is false.
The R-RX front is a full front bumper. I think you would be able to get it to work if you cut your stock bumper and tried to fit it that way, but all in all that would be very hard. It would make more sence to do a GTI swap (Most of the time it is free- If you can find someone that wants to trade.) Then you buy the R-RX front and paint it and install it. Make sure that you have the rest of the kit (something that hangs down low) to = out the front bumper. Good luck with your project, if you do try to get it to fit on your stock bumper, I think you will need some sort of *backing* or *support* of the R-RX, since I think it will be fairly flimsy on the stock bumper.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Reiger R-RX GTI bumper mods for a Jetta (CapeGLS)

Quote, originally posted by CapeGLS »
First off, your listing on the left hand side of the page says you have a 2000 jetta widebody. Since you already have a WIDEBODY, why would you want to put a new bumper on the front, that will eventually have to be adjusted to properly fit your WIDEBODY, unless you dont have a WIDEBODY, and in which case you should remove that, since it is false.
The R-RX front is a full front bumper. I think you would be able to get it to work if you cut your stock bumper and tried to fit it that way, but all in all that would be very hard. It would make more sence to do a GTI swap (Most of the time it is free- If you can find someone that wants to trade.) Then you buy the R-RX front and paint it and install it. Make sure that you have the rest of the kit (something that hangs down low) to = out the front bumper. Good luck with your project, if you do try to get it to fit on your stock bumper, I think you will need some sort of *backing* or *support* of the R-RX, since I think it will be fairly flimsy on the stock bumper.

first off my car is a widebody and due to an accident that I had my car no longer has a front bumper. I plan on taking my widebody front fenders off and replacing them with stock fenders. I dont want to do a GTI swap for many reasons I have a fiberglass hood with a hood scoop in it, i already have smoked jetta headlights, and third I cant swap with anyone because I have custom widebody front fenders and NO FRONT BUMPER. So I guess thats out of the question. I plan on buying stock fenders (even though my 9" wide tires would poke a little) and a stock jetta bumper. Im sure the bodyshop could put some kind of bracket inside to bumper to hold it in place so it wouldnt be too flimsy for being fused together.
has anyone done this or has any friends who has this setup? pics are much appreciated

·
Registered
3,053 Posts

It really isnt that hard. Just cut it like you said at the rub strip, plastic weld it. and to reinforce the weld, use 2-part panel bond with some extra plastic pieces behind it. then use filler to smooth it out. I would prime it with many coats of Urethane primer and block the piss out of it to get it extra smooth.
Grab your balz and go for it!

·
Registered
35,225 Posts
Re: Reiger R-RX GTI bumper mods for a Jetta (ninja_van1sh)

Well, since you already have alot of work into the car; it looks like your only option will be to *fuse* the r-rx onto the stock bumper. Check with Lipton 1.8t (or something like that) He has the front and it was in an accident, since you are looking for this bumper, you may be able to work with it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Reiger R-RX GTI bumper mods for a Jetta (I3oxrocket)

Quote, originally posted by I3oxrocket »
It really isnt that hard. Just cut it like you said at the rub strip, plastic weld it. and to reinforce the weld, use 2-part panel bond with some extra plastic pieces behind it. then use filler to smooth it out. I would prime it with many coats of Urethane primer and block the piss out of it to get it extra smooth.
Grab your balz and go for it!

I also was also wondering is there any different between a jetta front bumper and a GTI's, if I was going to use an r-rx and put it onto my jetta bumper would i have to use the stock bumper or a euro bumper? i would assume euro bumper right?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts

Quote, originally posted by evix »

I also was also wondering is there any different between a jetta front bumper and a GTI's, if I was going to use an r-rx and put it onto my jetta bumper would i have to use the stock bumper or a euro bumper? i would assume euro bumper right?

you can retrofit your Euro R-RX to fit the NA spec bumper. You just have to extend to ends of the bumper to fit.
That's what I had to do when I molded on my pontus lip(EuroSpec) to my NA stock bumper.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Reiger R-RX GTI bumper mods for a Jetta (I3oxrocket)

what does the body shop do to extend the bumper isnt it abs plastic? Can you use fiberglass on abs plastic?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts

Quote, originally posted by evix »
what does the body shop do to extend the bumper isn't it abs plastic? Can you use fiberglass on abs plastic?

Technically, yes. you can use it, although, it doesn't bond very well.
Fiberglass is very ridged, bumpers are not. The tannins (I think that the proper terminology) in the plastic make adhesion a problem for the Fiber anyhow.
The 2 part panel bond I used is holding up beautifully. No signs of cracking at all.
as far as stretching, you have to add a piece on the sides of the same material, I was lucky and using fiberglass, since the lip is fiberglass. They'll have to use whatever plastic the bumper is made out of. Someone will chime in as to the Material of the bumper.
It's really a lot of work to do, you may be better off buying a Eurospec Bora bumper. The cost may be around the same as extending the Euro Rieger out, not positive on that one though.

Edit-- To clarify, yes I bonded fiberglass to my bumper. BUT, I "glued" it onto were the OEM valance goes. it kind of clips in anyhow and was solid without
2-part bond. Since I was molding it, I needed a perminent fixture.
I Just wouldnt recomend using fiberglass to hold the lower part of a plastic bumper to the upper part. butting it up and all.

Modified by I3oxrocket at 3:25 PM 2-18-2004

1 - 13 of 13 Posts