VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The starter was bad when I bought the car. I had the old one rebuilt (142 dollars, including tax).

I have owned a couple Rabbit GTi's before. So I didn't label the connectors I pulled off thinking it would be obvious when I put them back on.

Sigh...

So when I went to reconnect things, getting the two thick cables to the starter motor was easy enough. But I found 3 or 4 un-connected connectors right there. Plus a couple broken wires to I-don't-know-what. And a vacuum hose connection with no vacuum hose anywhere in sight, just a small-ish open hole into the air stream DOWNSTREAM of the fuel metering plate.

(I'm hoping that plugging that hole helps smooth out the idle problems.)

I took pictures of the possible connectors, but it says I can't post pictures or attachments. I guess I am too new with my registration? So I will describe what I see:

3 Wire Connector:
3 wires come into it. Solid black. Green with grey stripe. Black with white stripe.

2 Wire Connector:
Solid light brown. Solid medium brown. The two receptacles that accept the tabs are perpendicular to each other.

1 Wire connector:
Light green wire with dark green stripe.

What I am not seeing is the wire that should be Red/Black according to the diagram in my 1975-1989 Rabbit Haynes manual.

However, the engine was removed and a different engine bored/stroked to 2.0 liters was put in. Lots of work has been done on the car, including dropping in a 15� bass speaker with a 1200W and a 400W power supply. Plus, the cooling fan doesn't work and a on/off switch was installed on the steering column. There are a couple other minor electrical gremlins as well (the radio doesn't power on, the fan for the heater doesn't work, etc.). So I know that since this car isn't pristine, I can't expect too much.

But at the moment, I don't even have a guess as to which wire(s) connect to the starter's solenoid. So any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I have all of tomorrow late morning and early afternoon to try and fix this problem.

Thanks,

S

·
Registered
21,958 Posts
You can't post pictures directly from your computer to the tex.
You have to have your pictures hosted at a photo service ie: Snapfish, photobucket and the like, then
post the link between
tags.

Newbies should read the forum (help) section or ask.

Starters have 2 connections.
One from the Battery that goes to the large lug directly.
One from the Ignition switch to usually the right side of the solenoid as you are
looking at it.

Big honking lead is RED.
The solenoid lead is red/black from the ignition switch.

Now you say you aren't seeing the red/black wire so you will have to find it or the wire that they
have used in it place.

Is there a heat soak relay installed, as they could of changed the wire color on you. Otherwise you will
need to start to ring the circuit out from the ignition switch to find the wire.
Your best friend here is going to be your digital multimeter.

The previous own may have spliced in a 2.0L wiring harness, and the colors may have changed, and the connectors that
are hanging are not connected to the new engine.

We will need to see pictures of the wires and the connectors they are in to help you more as it
tends to assist us in figuring out where they go. Also the General area of the engine bay helps.

All vacuum hoses have to be connected at both ends, or capped off.

The cooling fan is simple circuit, it is usually controlled from the Radiator Switch to the fan direct from the battery to the fuse box through f1 back to motor. The fan motor is isolated so if you are non-a/c there are 2 wires one ground and one red/black

A/C equipped cars (which yours may have had prior to the swap) have the same single speed fan controlled via the radiator switch and the a/c relay in the fuse box. Removing the a/c relay shouldn't have effected the workings of the fan, but stranger things have been known to happen.

·
Registered
21,958 Posts

·
Registered
21,958 Posts
This is a standard relay, usually used for the horns the wire colors out the back may have a clue.

This is Green/blue not Light Green/dark green

This looks like but are these on the relay labeled 53?
Red White Brown/Red Black

These are Brown and white possibly brown white/blk not light brown/medium brown

These are black grn/blue black

The big issue is that you have a previous owners attempt at a 2.0 swap. There are difference in the wiring that the 2.0 requires. The Previous owner didn't take the time to do the job right, as it looks to be a piecemeal affair that you have bought.

Some of the wires aren't connected as they probably aren't in use on the 2.0 or have been re-routed. The Scotch Low connector is a testament to that in the one picture.

Cabby-info.com has some references to the 2.0 swap, but you may also need the technical forum here for additional assistance as we really don't know if he swapped the correct fuse block, and wires or did the cut and splice method....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The screw/nut on the solenoid that is closest to the starter motor is the ground. The other screw/nut goes to the positive side of the battery.

The connector with the big solder point on the base has the number 50 next to it in the black plastic (you can't see it in the picture). The connector that is tangential to the circle of the solenoid has 15a written next to it. Yes, the a is lower case.

I am confused because I would have expected that the two connections for the solenoid would have one leading to ground and the other one leading to the start position on the key ignition switch. But that does not seem to be the case from what I can tell on my schematic diagram (picture below). The diagram comes from the Haynes manual that covers 1974 thru 1981 Scirocco, 1974 thru 1984 Rabbit Jetta and Pick up, and 1980 thru 1985 Cabriolet. This book has an electrical schematic diagram for the 1984 Rabbit Cabriolet. That's the one I am using.

Mine is a 1987 Cabriolet. However, I also have a different Haynes manual book that covers all gasoline engine models for the Rabbit Golf, Jetta, Scirocco and Pick Up from 1975 thru 1989. However, that book only has electrical diagrams for the Cabriolet up to 1981.

Tomorrow morning I am going to try and trace the wire out of the key/ignition switch into the engine bay. But even then, I am not sure which side of the solenoid to attach it to and I am not sure what should go on the other connector for the solenoid...

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
21,958 Posts
Use the image link or the picture link in the message area, that way your photos show.

As you look at the starter solenoid. The big lug gets the battery wire. The spad connector on the right is the 12V pick from the ignition switch.

You can test it. Out of he car.
Battery ground to the case of the starter.
Battery 12V pos to the big lug.

Jumper a 12V to the spad lug on the right and you will will here the starter spin... (do it on the ground as there is a lot of torque.)

·
Registered
21,958 Posts
The diagram comes from the Haynes manual that covers 1974 thru 1981 Scirocco, 1974 thru 1984 Rabbit Jetta and Pick up, and 1980 thru 1985 Cabriolet. This book has an electrical schematic diagram for the 1984 Rabbit Cabriolet. That's the one I am using.

Mine is a 1987 Cabriolet. However, I also have a different Haynes manual book that covers all gasoline engine models for the Rabbit Golf, Jetta, Scirocco and Pick Up from 1975 thru 1989. However, that book only has electrical diagrams for the Cabriolet up to 1981.
Well the 84 is a critter of a different color, as they were inbetween year. There are 1984 and 1984.5, you have to have the 85 and the 84 wiring schematics.

Now a 87 is totally almost different.

May I strongly urge you to GET THEE A BENTLEY

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Yep, while for a lot of the mechanical stuff it is the same for all the cabbie years, but for the electrical you really have to have the correct year manual, and even then you have to make sure you are looking at the right set of schematics as they sometimes have additional pages for A/C, Auto, Etc.

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.