VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Reliability ?

455 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  pest 
#1 ·
Hi
I'm new here and looking into getting a 1999 (new style) Jetta. It's a vr6 auto blah blah blah. I'm just wondering how reliable the cars are....I checked edmunds.com and carsurvey.org and both of them had a lot of people that had many many problems with their cars. I'm wondering if people around here have had the same amount of problems ? People posting on edmunds and carsurvey are more likely to fall at one end of the spectrum or the other...but still... If they do break down a lot are they costly to fix ?
Thanks,
justin

#2 ·
Re: Reliability ? (justino)

Overall they are not too bad. There are a few common problems, such a bad MAF's, window regualtors, broken glovebox doors, squeaky sway bar bushings, and few more i'm sure others will chime in about. If it's a 99 the window reg's have most likely been replaced, so that shouldn't be of great concern. They have also extended the warranty on the MAF's to 7 years 120k(70miles) as well. My advice is to either buy private from someone you know, or that has full records, or buy from a VW dealer so you can get the CPO warranty to at least cover you butt for 2 years. Overall if you take car of it, i'm sure you'll be fairly happy with it, as they are a pretty well built car that can deliver much driving pleasure. Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#4 ·
Re: Reliability ? (Bolsen)

Stay away from that year. If you decide to go with it, make sure the window regulators have been replaced along with the coil packs. In terms of reliability, VW's are like flipping a coin. You get either a trouble free car or mad problems-unbiased opinion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.