VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, you may remember me from such threads as Reliable Transportation: 93 Corrado SLC, and the even more ironic and much less reliable Reliable Transportation 2005 A6. I stopped updating the A6 thread mostly because it became depressingly (oppressively?) expensive to maintain it's reliable status. When it was working it was fantastic. When something went wrong I almost never spent less than three figures for whatever it was. In 2020 alone I had $760.52 power steering pump and check valves, $1,862 power steering rack and hoses, and $4,471.15 front suspension rebuild and hood latch replace.

So December 2020, the A6 started throwing ABS faults, and then we had our first cold night and I was reminded that the radio doesn't work when it's cold outside. I decided it was time to make some moves. I looked at a 2017 A6. I thought about making a thread to debate new GTI vs used Golf R. I wondered if I could track down my old 93 Corrado, and then I saw this green Tacoma.

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

2021 TRD Sport 4x4, V6 automatic, quad cab, long bed, Army Green, with LED headlights and the technology package. MSRP: $40,907. I ended up with $39,751.06 out the door. Zero down with promotional 1.9% APR.

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

I'm into the fact that this could turn out to be legit reliable transportation. The factory LED headlights are great.

So far I've had a woman make me roll down my window to yell at me in traffic that she loved the color, and a neighbor walking his dog tell me he doesn't normally say things like this but he really likes the color. The color is cool, it's like dolphin grey but green.

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

The next morning, in my driveway:

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

My Dad got me a cargo net for christmas:

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

My son wanted to take the new truck off roading. There aren't a lot of options for that in the metro Detroit area, but we did find a very muddy dirt road and some hills to climb on a powerline access road.

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

The aftermath of what off roading looks like to a very impressed 4 year old:

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

I remember when the Tacoma was a mini truck, it's not very mini any more, unless you park next to...

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

Hopefully some real pictures to show off the green color, and whatever comes next in what I hope to be a very long term ownership.

Cheers.

Registered
Great Falls Green GTI
馃А anything green. I'm biased, but still. Great score! Any plans with it (cosmetic, suspension, etc.)?

Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
Fantastic truck! Also yes I love that color. IIRC that color first became available last year but only on the TRD Pro which meant you had to spend big bucks to get the best color. It appears they've opened up to the mainstream TRD Sport/Off-Road trims which is awesome because that's all you really need. Sure it's $39K but with 1.9% APR, insanely good depreciation, and a bulletproof reputation for reliability, overall this should be a pretty inexpensive vehicle to own.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
馃А anything green. I'm biased, but still. Great score! Any plans with it (cosmetic, suspension, etc.)?
I also heart green (see my green Corrado). I would really like to do more TSD rally. I want to build my own rally computer and have some ideas with Raspberry Pi/Arduino combination that would ultimately be built in. I dont know anything about Tacomas really, so other than a bro-dozer light bar (jokes aside that would actually be very useful for TSD)... eventually wheels and tires with dedicated winters? The factory TRD sport suspension feels pretty good to me and matches my high speed dirt road use case pretty well. I'm not interested in a lift.

Sure it's $39K but with 1.9% APR, insanely good depreciation, and a bulletproof reputation for reliability, overall this should be a pretty inexpensive vehicle to own.
Exactly. If you told me I was going to spend $39k on an automotive purchase a year ago I would have laughed at you. The prospect of being able to sell this thing for $25k+ 10 years from now with 200k miles on it helped justified the premium of buying new.

Registered
Great color 馃嵒 I was going to say keep us updated but it's a Taco, so it might be monotonous: Gas, oil, tires. Gas, oil, tires. Gas, oil, tires and wipers. ;)

Any plans for it?

Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
That's definitely going to be reliable transportation, so nice choice! And yeah, count me among those who dig the color.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Registered
great choice and love the color. in before you start shopping at LFD, Rago, etc. and watch too much Adventure Overland...

Registered
Looks great!! And a longboi too! That鈥檚 a lot of truck for 39k. Considerably less than a full size similarly equipped. Even after 10k off sticker the truck in my sig was 44.5k. Love the color too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Today I swapped out the factory altezza tail lights that come on some of the new 2021 models with a used but like new set of OEM all red's from an SR5. Direct bolt in, no issues.

I still dont have amber turns, but I think it looks so much better.

Before:

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

After:

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

Untitled
by Raven, on Flickr

Registered
Very nice. I had similar experiences when I had a quicksand Tacoma. Everywhere I went I'd get compliments on the color. Wish I had waited for the army green Tundras.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts