VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, after my battery died yesterday, I went and bought an Optima red top, i got it all in there and nice and snugged when i found that the PO had the battery cables re-done. Now the problem is the retard that did it left absolutely ZERO slack and unless you're replacing the battery with the exact same (****ty) battery that was in there, you're out of luck. So, this weekend me and my buddy are gonna relocate it to the trunk and clean up all the wiring.......fun. So, I already have the battery (dry-cell) what else will I need guys?? Thanks in advance!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
48 Posts
Re: Relocating battery to back, what all is needed..... (OmegaRecreation)

Check out an old hotrod mailorder company called JEG'S I have the catalog. They sell a whole kit for about $80 bucks with longer cables, and a padded case to hold the battery. The case is acid proof in case of a collision. Also for better weight distribution put it in the back on the passenger side, but also may be less safe in an accident due to the gas tank being on that side. I plan to do mine as soon as it warms up in MD. Good luck

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (martman45)

So 4 Gauge is what i need? Does it have to be from an audio store, that might be really expensive, would that be any better than just the **** from pep boys? Is there an existing hole i the firewall i can go through, or do I have to drill? If anyone had any pics of their rear mount set-up it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Re: (OmegaRecreation)

I recommend against 4-guage from audio shop... those cable are not very chemical resistance.
Go to the marine or boat shop or welding shop, and pick up some real battery cable. 0/1/2 guage is good for piece of mind. You want that jacket as strong as possible. Anytime it cuts and contacts the body - watch out for the fire. A circuit breaker works also.
The cable is not cheap, but you won't enjoy any benefits from Audio Cables.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.