VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,642 Posts
Eh, it's probably just the authors ****ing with people. If I had a wildly successful line of children's books, I'd do the same. Either that or people just like to believe weird **** that other people believe.

I'll have to dig though the pile next time I'm back home... they're next to my brown pound puppy with red corduroy overalls with rainbow suspenders, I'm pretty sure. I'm also pretty sure it's always been spelled with an "a", at least in my universe. Maybe TCL isn't even real, man. It's a portal to a parallel universes, and we're all on different planes of existence. It is called the "vortex", you know. I mean, in the Berenstain Bears' universe, bears freaking talk, cheat at car races, and get bad grades. They don't do any of that where I live.

·
Registered
22,277 Posts
It was an "E" for sure.

I probably still have these books at my parents.

·
Registered
2020 GTI, 2016 GSW (Wife)
1,261 Posts
I'm pretty sure I had this same question when my age was still in the single digits (born in 1981). I thought it was an E then looked at one of the books or videos we had and saw it was an A. At which point I shrugged my shoulders and moved on with my life. :laugh:

Here's a good quote from an article I read on this the other day.

To try and get a handle on what may be the most important scientific theory to arise in the 21st century, I thought I would go to an expert. Dr. Henry L. Roediger is one of the foremost experts on false memories in North America, so I wrote him about the Berensteinites to get his thoughts. His response made it clear he believes what's happening is more Occam's Razor than X-Files.

"I'm not sure that misremembering one letter in a long name is a major league false memory," he wrote VICE in an email. "My guess is that in this case that "stein" is remembered because it is a common ending of many names—Einstein, Frankenstein, Goldstein, etc."

·
Registered
4,954 Posts

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
its probably because our dumb parents mispronounced it. you heard "stein" before you could even read it was "stain". and since you probably never even looked at the title when you were old enough to read it yourself you created the memory of it being "stein".

·
Registered
408 Posts
Berenstain. . . I remember as a kid wondering how they could so royally screw up spelling a simple name like Bernstein. And they wrote books! For teaching kids to read! And they couldn't write their own names!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts