VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I bought my Vw Golf 2001 from a guy.
He sold it to me "As Is" He only gave me one key and remote
and I lost the key and remote.
So I bought only the Key. (short on money).
I spent 100 dollars for the key at the dealer
and 80 dollars to get the key programed at the dealer.
Now I bought the remote (from the dealer) and I want to
get the remote programed, But I want to avoid the
dealer. (it's to expensive) Please Help Guys.

· Registered
2,700 Posts
One key Remote Programing?, Not only possible, but true. I've done it.
Use the normal two key remote programming procedure only remove the driver's door lock cylinder cover first. Once removed you can use a screwdriver as the "second key" in the outside door. Just be gentle when turning the "key". Replace the cover when you're done.

1. Insert working key into the ignition lock and switch to the ON position without starting the engine.
2. Using the screwdriver, manually lock your car from the outside. (turn driver clockwise)
3. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK on the remote (to be programmed) once, then wait 2 seconds.
4. Press either button again once.
5. Switch off ignition and remove key from ignition.
6. You should hear a beep as a confirmation that the programming is completed
You'll need a torx bit to loosen the cover screw, I forget what size

Modified by Old_School at 7:47 PM 8-17-2006

· Registered
4,649 Posts
there is a plastic grommit covering the 20 torx bit screw
remove the grommit
apply pressure to the door handle as if u were opening the door
take a torx20 screw driver loosen the screw a few turns give the lock cylinder a tug (while still holding pressure on the handle)
if the lock cylinder doesnt come out give the torx screw a few more turns and try to wiggle it out
DO NOT REMOVE THAT TORX SCREW COMPLETELY

· Registered
1,528 Posts
Re: (Old_School)

Quote, originally posted by Old_School »
One key Remote Programing?, Not only possible, but true. I've done it.
Use the normal two key remote programming procedure only remove the driver's door lock cylinder cover first. Once removed you can use a screwdriver as the "second key" in the outside door. Just be gentle when turning the "key". Replace the cover when you're done.

1. Insert working key into the ignition lock and switch to the ON position without starting the engine.
2. Using the screwdriver, manually lock your car from the outside. (turn driver clockwise)
3. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK on the remote (to be programmed) once, then wait 2 seconds.
4. Press either button again once.
5. Switch off ignition and remove key from ignition.
6. You should hear a beep as a confirmation that the programming is completed
You'll need a torx bit to loosen the cover screw, I forget what size

Modified by Old_School at 7:47 PM 8-17-2006

does it matter what part #...if you only need the remote?
I have a "T" and can only get an "AM" remote.

· Registered
2,700 Posts
Re: (CosmicRave)

Quote, originally posted by CosmicRave »

does it matter what part #...if you only need the remote?
I have a "T" and can only get an "AM" remote.

I haven't a clue at what you are asking

THe original poster asked whether it is possible to program a remote with one key. Asked and answered. Part numbers were never mentioned

· Registered
1,528 Posts

I haven't a clue at what you are asking

THe original poster asked whether it is possible to program a remote with one key. Asked and answered. Part numbers were never mentioned

thought I'd ask about the part #'s because I'm doing the same thing that he's doing. Basically I just want to know if any remote that uses the same buttons as mine and has the red LED can be programmed even though the part #'s are different on the remote.

· Registered
2,700 Posts
Re: (CosmicRave)

Quote, originally posted by CosmicRave »

thought I'd ask about the part #'s because I'm doing the same thing that he's doing. Basically I just want to know if any remote that uses the same buttons as mine and has the red LED can be programmed even though the part #'s are different on the remote.

You have to match up the key to the immobilizer. this thread says which one you need. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1216091
Oval key ends will not fit square button remotes.(duh) It's is my understanding that if you originally had a "f" style key/remote you can use a "t" style key/remote. You could probably transplant the key blade and RFID chip from your original "F" key/remote into a "T" key/remote but that would require a little minor surgery. This would keep you from having to recode the key to the car. Haven't tried it, but I believe it's in the DIY

Modified by Old_School at 10:18 PM 8-17-2006

· Registered
1,528 Posts

You have to match up the key to the immobilizer. this thread says which one you need. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1216091
Oval key ends will not fit square button remotes.(duh) It's is my understanding that if you originally had a "f" style key/remote you can use a "t" style key/remote. You could probably transplant the key blade and RFID chip from your original "F" key/remote into a "T" key/remote but that would require a little minor surgery. This would keep you from having to recode the key to the car. Haven't tried it, but I believe it's in the DIY

Modified by Old_School at 10:18 PM 8-17-2006

who said anything about an oval key? or "F" style.

I have "T" style, and want to know if I could program the "AM" remote
which is the same exact remote but different part # and uses immo3.
whereas my "T" style uses immo2...
note: I don't need the "AM" to start the car...I just want the remote part, that's it...

Modified by CosmicRave at 1:59 AM 8-18-2006

· Registered
2,700 Posts
Well, the remote regardless of whether it's F.T, AM, or DC doesn't care what imobilizer is in the car. Remotes have nothing directly to do with the imobilizer. The RFID chip on the key end is the only thing that interfascs with the imoblizer.
I suppose you could try and program an AM but if they were identical why wouldn't they be the same part number. Try and borrow someone's AM and give it a try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.