VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has removed their mid muffler and kept the rest of the exhaust stock. I heard it frees up a few ponies because it's very restrictive. How much louder did it make the exhaust sound, and does make that backfire popping sound???

Thanks

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Re: removal of mid muffler (Jman5000)

I did it and loved it but I also installed a Eurosport 2.5 inch downpipe at the same time. My friends kept telling me the car was louder than I thought. It was expecially loud in the morning on cold starts. I did not realize how loud it was till I got my Milltek catback...
Never turning back

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: removal of mid muffler (RonN)

I have definitely been wanting to do this for a while. I did some research and found that the TDI midpipe is the same size for all MK4's. My question is this: is it the same (diameter) that's on the 337?
Thanks,
greg

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: removal of mid muffler (gfarn1)

Well, i went ahead and did it last Friday. I went to a good, local muffler shop and they charged me $30 to cut out the resonator and place straight pipe. (I kept the resonator...just in case.) Final verdict is there's not too much of a difference. It is a little louder during cold start-ups but that is all i can notice. No noticeable hp gains either. The stock muffler must really "muffle" because when i had my '95 with an after-market muffler and cut out the resonator later...It was so loud and did that back-fire popping sound during deceleration.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gfarn1 »
BUMP for an answer
Thanks

Yes, TDI mid piping size is idential to 337 exhaust. I have this exact setup on my car.
Eric

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: removal of mid muffler (vwbora1)

So would you two (and others) recommand doing this or is it a waste of about $80?

·
Registered
305 Posts

Did You do a downpipe?
Without a downpipe you really won't see much of a diference. The stock down pipe is tiny. Try that and see how you like it. I think eliminating the resonater is a great Idea. If you don't like just the DP you can allways buy a cat back system.
Let us know what you think
And how it works I might be tempted to go back to that myself to bring back the stock apearance.
Kevin

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote, originally posted by gfarn1 »

So would you two (and others) recommand doing this or is it a waste of about $80?

It only cost me $30 to have them install generic straight pipe. I believe the TDI midpipe is just a straight pipe. I would recommend it. It certainly isn't hurting anything and if anything it did free up the exhaust a little more.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Re: removal of mid muffler (602crew)

when they take out the resonator, do they have to remove that large black metal brace that goes horizontally across the car, right below the resonator itself? I was looking at it today, and it seems like that would have to be taken off in order to get the resonator out.
Anyone?

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: removal of mid muffler (VeeDubStar)

I think once you cut the resonator, it will slide out around that piece. I may be wrong, this is just a guess and i didn't watch as they did it.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Re: removal of mid muffler (602crew)

Me and a friend did it ourselves and its not too loud but I dont think it does much by freeing the car. It pretty good for only $20. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Re: removal of mid muffler (MK4GTIturbo337)

Quote, originally posted by MK4GTIturbo337 »
Did You do a downpipe?
Without a downpipe you really won't see much of a diference. The stock down pipe is tiny. Try that and see how you like it. I think eliminating the resonater is a great Idea. If you don't like just the DP you can allways buy a cat back system.
Let us know what you think
And how it works I might be tempted to go back to that myself to bring back the stock apearance.
Kevin

Guys I have done everything you are asking here. I did this all back in December or January. All of your answers are right here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=617454

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: removal of mid muffler (RonN)

I pulled the resonator off my gti when I first got it...didn't really make it that much louder and not really a power dif....so ?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: removal of mid muffler (Michaelnmels03rabbit)

well that's what I had thought.....but when you have a bigger exhaust....that turbo does not deaden much noise

·
Registered
582 Posts
Re: removal of mid muffler (Geo)

Nobody gave a final solution to the problem of removing the resonator...
Do you have to remove that black brace that spans the width of the car in order to get the resonator out? This muffler shop told me that it had to come off in order to get it out, but I was skeptical. Anyone that did this mod want to chime in?
I followed the link posted a few posts up, but there were no specific descriptions of how to actually get the thing out.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Re: removal of mid muffler (VeeDubStar)

Quote, originally posted by VeeDubStar »
Nobody gave a final solution to the problem of removing the resonator...
Do you have to remove that black brace that spans the width of the car in order to get the resonator out? This muffler shop told me that it had to come off in order to get it out, but I was skeptical. Anyone that did this mod want to chime in?
I followed the link posted a few posts up, but there were no specific descriptions of how to actually get the thing out.
Thanks.

Sorry about the late reply.
YES you do have to remove the black brace to do the TDI mid pipe install. It is not a big deal you just need to be at a shop where they have exhaust supports while they do it. This is not a mod you can do yourself unless you have a welder and a saw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts