VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removal of OEM steering wheels
THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
- T55 torx bit or 12 point bit (12 point can be obtained from VW, or from some auto parts stores)
- Torque wrench (one that will allow you to torque to low settings)
- small flathead screwdriver
- ratchet for torx bit
- extension for rachet and bit
- 10mm socket (to disconnect battery)
- radio security code (for earlier model year Mk4's)
REMOVAL:
- Make sure your wheels are straight and the steering wheel is appropriately aligned.
- Disconnect the battery.
- Insert key into ignition, and turn to the "on", but not "over" position (this will keep the wheel from locking).
- Turn the wheel 90 degrees to one side. You will feel/see a small hole in the back.
- Insert a small flathead screwdriver into the hole. Make sure the screwdriver is angled such that the handle is against the steering column, and the flathead is as high up within the hole as possible. Make sure to push the screwdriver in as far as you can.
- Pull up on the handle. What you are trying to do is push down on a small spring within the steering wheel that holds the airbag locking latch secured.
- You may have to try a couple times, but you will eventually see, hear, and feel the airbag catch release from the spring.
- Turn the wheel in the opposite direction 180 degrees until you can see/feel the second hole.
- Repeat the screwdriver procedure.
- The airbag should now be released from the steering wheel. However, it is still attached to the wiring harness. Make sure to unplug the harness from the airbag before you pull it out too far from the wheel.
- Place the airbag somewhere secure, with the padding side up.
- Disconnect the wiring harness from the steering column. If you look closely, you will see two indentations in the steering wheel, near the wiring harness, that will fit the harness connectors. Insert the connectors in the appropriate indentations just to get the wires out of your way (this is totally optional, but I thought I would add it).
- Using a T55 torx bit (or a 12 spline tool ... commonly called a triple square at some autoparts stores ... I can't remember the size, but Lisle makes a kit with four bits, 6, 8, 10, and 12mm), remove the bolt in the center of the steering column.
- Pull the wheel off the steering column.
INSTALLATION OF OEM FITMENT WHEEL:
- Push the wheel on the steering column making sure to line up the splines of the column and the wheel such that the centering mark on the wheel corresponds with the centering mark on the column.
- Clean the threads of the bolt. Put some new locktite on the threads of the bolt and tighten the bolt down.
- You will need to use a torque wrench to torque the bolt to the appropriate setting. Torque to 50 Nm (37 ft-lb).
- Use a center punch to mark the bolt. This should be done each time the bolt is used (the bolt has a lifetime of 5 uses before it needs to be replaced). You should see an already existing punch mark ... make yours next to it, but not so close as to be confusing to someone other than yourself.
- Plug the wiring harness into the steering column.
- Plug the wiring harness into the airbag.
- Push the airbag into the steering wheel making sure the locking lugs are securely fastened (you'll be able to see/hear/feel when things lock up).
- Turn the key off and remove it from the ignition.
- Reconnect the battery.
- Insert the key in the ignition and turn it "on" but not "over". If you don't get an ABS light, then you're good. Give it a little while.
- Turn the car off and then start the car.
- You will need to reset your clock, and on earlier Mk4 models, your radio will need to be unlocked with the security code (I don't have to do this on my '03, but your manual will tell you what to do).
- You will also need to reset your auto up/down window functions.
RESETTING AUTO UP/DOWN WINDOW FUNCTIONS:
- Make sure all windows are completely closed (all the way up).
- Get out of the car.
- Lock the car from the the outside by inserting the key into the door and turning in the appropriate direction.
- Unlock the car through the door.
- Lock the car through the door again. Make sure to hold the key in the lock position for several seconds (I typically wait until the alarm LED has blinked a couple times).
- Your auto up/down functions should now work again.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Re: Removal of OEM steering wheels (dub_burg)

Thanks, but I should have asked about
WIPER STALK REMOVAL,
is that possible to remove wiper stalk without removing the wheel?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Removal of OEM steering wheels (tatge)

I got a question. I bought the car with deployed airbags, and found out that horns don't work. I know it has something to do with the airbag, because when I press "panic" button on my remote, they work. So anyway, what I want to do is to put in an airbag just so it looks good. I heard from some people that If I don't hook it up, it might deploy from the static! Is that true? Can I just ground the airbag to something to prevent this?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: Removal of OEM steering wheels (Andryuha)

It is true...static electricity can deploy an airbag at any time and without warning. To prevent this, DO NOT GROUND EITHER WIRE, what you need to do is strip both wires leading to the inflator module, and twist them together. Tape them up, and you are set. When the airbag leads are connected to each other this way, the only thing that can deploy that airbag is extreme heat (over about 250 deg.)
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Re: Removal of OEM steering wheels (Pinball9818)

My alignment is perfect but my wheel is cocked a bit to the right, is this how i can fix it, just pull it off and turn it a bit on the spline and put it back on?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: Removal of OEM steering wheels (golf_tdi_kid)

hey, anyone here know if it is possible to take a steering wheel from an mk4 and put it on an mk3....shift knob also
i have a 98 jetta and can get my hands on the sport steering wheel (3 spoke or whatever) and shift knob from a 2001 cabrio. just want to kno if it is possible before i try to do it thx

·
Banned
12,338 Posts
Re: Removal of OEM steering wheels (1point9turbo)

Quote, originally posted by 1point9turbo »
hey, anyone here know if it is possible to take a steering wheel from an mk4 and put it on an mk3....shift knob also
i have a 98 jetta and can get my hands on the sport steering wheel (3 spoke or whatever) and shift knob from a 2001 cabrio. just want to kno if it is possible before i try to do it thx
I believe so, as the 2001 cabbies are really an mk3.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Has anyone put used the Momo wheel hub on a MK4 and figured out how to hook up the horn? I tried all the wires in the OEM wheel with my Momo horn button and none of them seemed to work. Mine is the 4 spoke wheel with cruise control and stereo volume controls on it. When I took the wheel off there were 5 wires on the inside, 2 for the airbag and the other 3 I imagine control the horn, stereo functions and cruise controls?
Please help me with this if anyone has any ideas.

·
Banned
63 Posts
FYI, I did this today and found it much, much easier if you push your hand on the horn area of the airbag. It releases some tension from the clips and they come undone much easier with this pressure applied from the front.

·
Banned
12,338 Posts
Re: (danox574)

Quote, originally posted by danox574 »
FYI, I did this today and found it much, much easier if you push your hand on the horn area of the airbag. It releases some tension from the clips and they come undone much easier with this pressure applied from the front.
good idea http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tatge »
- Use a center punch to mark the bolt. This should be done each time the bolt is used (the bolt has a lifetime of 5 uses before it needs to be replaced). You should see an already existing punch mark ... make yours next to it, but not so close as to be confusing to someone other than yourself.

My bolt doesn't seem to have any punch mark there. There is something like a circle indentation (from manufacturing the bolt) maybe 3 mm diameter between two "8" stamped in the bolt. Does that mean it can be used 8 times?

·
Registered
253 Posts
No that means Grade 8 bolt...Anyhow, I did mine, and ran into the wire problem, my 4 spker had 2 wires for the horn, and my 3 spoker has only 1 connector for the horn.......how do I get around that?? I'm hornless right now....everything else went smooth though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: (TurboMedic)

I'm having same problem converting my 03 TDi with the 3-spokes GLI steering wheel.
Where does the (2nd) larger connector plug to the 3-spokes steering wheel? Or do I need a different wiring harness for the 3-spokes Airbag?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: (hsus2k)

Nevermind, Got everything hooked up. After examining the wires...both black wires were for the horn; soon as the contacta are made between the upper plate and the bottom plate (one wire to each plates) the horn will work (on the old 4-spokes wheel). So I just hooked the smaller (bottom plate) connector to the new 3-spokes wheel and taped the other connector and shove it down into the steering bolt opening.
The horn works now! and the wheel and airbag are installed! No problem so far.

I added few pictures if anyone is still confused....There is also a link to my webshot community page to see more detail step by step installation (But it's kind of backwards, since I had already installed the 3-spokes last night. I just reattached the airbag and loosen the center bolt to add BLUE thread-locker to the bolt..and torque it down 50Nm) Last night was just checking to see if the horn and everything else will work!
Here is the airbag wiring harness (sorry, the 4-spokes wheel is already off the car!) you can remove the harness by pinching the two yellow tabs on both sides of the plug.

Here is the complete Airbag wiring harness with 2 horn wires from the 4-spokes steering wheel..

Plug the harness back into the 3-spoke steering wheel

The 90 degree spade goes on the steering wheel

You can fellow this link to my webshot community page and see it more detail:
http://community.webshots.com/...HqNKO

Remember! The horn only works in two areas. (at both sides of the airbag!) Where there are two little HORN inprints. If you push in the center of the airbag or the bottom spoke...Nothing will happend!
Have fun!

Modified by hsus2k at 7:24 PM 4-29-2005

Modified by hsus2k at 7:25 PM 4-29-2005

·
Registered
3 Posts

I successfully changed the steering wheel, and it was great, but i made a mistake. I connected the battery before the airbag wire on the steering wheel, and now the airbag light is on. Can you help me? what can i do to make it go off?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: Removal of OEM steering wheels (andugti)

Great thread. Practice pushing the airbag springs on your new steering wheel before trying it on the car. You'll know which spring you are trying to depress and it will make the process much easier. With these instructions it took me about 15 mins. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts