VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm in the middle of my coilover installation, and theres only one thing holding me back: stupid strut hat thingy.
Don't know what it's real name is, but I'm talking about the thing that houses the strut bearing, and mounts the struts and shocks to the towers in the engine comparment. I've tried using deep offset wrenches while simultaneously using a crecent wrench to hold the square nut in place. It wont back off.
Is there another nut holding the housing onto the top of the spring? Someone please tell me how to get this thing off so I can put the housing onto my coils!

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Removal of strut hats from strut assembly??? (Goat)

nope... thats it
if you can relieve the spring tension it'll be easier

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Re: Removal of strut hats from strut assembly??? (The Nothing)

Make sure you're using a spring compressor on the spring - the tension, when released is enough that all of that stuff on top can take your head off.
Also, I'd recommend going at it with an impact wrench - if you don't have one, take it to a shop and ask if they'll do it for you - I did this, ran about $30-

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Removal of strut hats from strut assembly??? (ijcameron)

Oh I definatley have them compressed. I don't see how taking an impact wrench to them will help. When I wrench the top nut of the strut assembly, it just spins the shock's shaft. I've tried vice grips to hold the thing in place while turning the top nut, but it doesn't work. There has to be some sort of secret to make the bolt back off of the shock shaft.
Is there some sort of special VW tool needed?

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Removal of strut hats from strut assembly??? (Goat)

might need some of this

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Re: Removal of strut hats from strut assembly??? (The Nothing)

the air gun works. ididnt think it would either since the shaft turns but three shots of air later, im nut-less....

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Removal of strut hats from strut assembly??? (dino01)

Bah....I just had my step dad drill the nut off.
Note: when you're taking off the strut bearings off the struts, remember to have the thing facing down so all your little ball bearings don't go flying all over the garage floor.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Re: (duct-tape)

Impact guns do wonderous things. Last time I swapped springs, I just used a rubber strap wrench to hold the strut shaft in place. It doesn't take much, feel free to get creative to hold it in place, just be careful not to scratch it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts