VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from the 1.8T world I used quite a few tuning apps to adjust my car. A few of the more recent ones let you permanently set adaptation values. One of which is the speed limiter value. Revo released a free app called Lemmiwinks to do just that, alter adaptation values. Remembering that it would let me change the speed limiter on my 1.8T I thought about its use on my R. Sure enough, I was able to increase my limiter to any value 127 kph higher or lower than stock. Turning it all the way up has effectively removed my speed limiter! (135mph stock limiter plus ~78mph increase puts the limiter at 213mph, way beyond the power level of a stock car).
Here's a link to the program:
http://www.ecodetuning.com/revo/Lemmiwinks.exe
If you search the vortex archives you'll find posts regarding its use and definitions of functions. Just thought I'd pass this on since being able to go as fast as our 'across the pond' brethren is pretty cool. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Perfekt at 8:11 PM 2-26-2004

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Remove your speed limiter! (Perfekt)

I might be wrong... but in theory wouldnt you be able to use this inversely in order to switch it to a very conservitive "valet mode"? not that i would ever let a valet park my R32, but some might.....
T / F

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Remove your speed limiter! (Vipe29)

You are correct!! You can set the limiter down 78mph too, about 57mph top speed. Just in case you're insane and you send your kid off to prom in your R.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Wow, quite cool. I'll have to grab this for when I get my new baby, since my friend has a VAG-COM... in case GIAC chip isnt out yet

·
Registered
56 Posts
So what kind of connection, Ethernet, Firewire..
never heard how to get in to the Eprom on these cars....Yeah Solaris, and UNIX too!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Remove your speed limiter! (RiGoR)

i was on their site and was trying to figure out how it works.... does it connect to the OBD2 with a cable like the VAG- System or does it work with the VAG - system?? i have yet to really figure out the VAG-COM
I know i know, im still a noob, but once i pick up my R32, it will be my first VDubb. and untill i got on the vortex, i hadnt even heard of the VAG-COM, and i would like to understand as much as i can about all of the options ahead of time....
sorry for my ignorance....
and thanks in advance...

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Vipe29 »
i was on their site and was trying to figure out how it works.... does it connect to the OBD2 with a cable like the VAG- System or does it work with the VAG - system?? i have yet to really figure out the VAG-COM
I know i know, im still a noob, but once i pick up my R32, it will be my first VDubb. and untill i got on the vortex, i hadnt even heard of the VAG-COM, and i would like to understand as much as i can about all of the options ahead of time....
sorry for my ignorance....
and thanks in advance...

Nice sig!
*wink*, *wink*

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: Remove your speed limiter! (Justin @ 3 Rivers VW)

Lemmiwinks is the gerbil from South Park... it does gross stuff. Interesting name for a program!?!
-jfost

·
Registered
4,370 Posts

Excellent contribution to the forum! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'd recommend adding this info to the FAQ.

Mike

·
Registered
18,548 Posts

BTW, in case it isn't clear from following the links and such. It uses the same
serial to OBDII connector cable as VAG-COM, it just speaks a different protocol.
So here's the odd thing though. I went and performed the mod.
Bumped the speed limiter up 25kph, saved, power cycled the ignition,
restarted the app, told it to load the values, verified that it showed
the new +25kph saved change. But then I'm not about to go test it out,
so instead I also tried bumping the idle speed up 300 rpms. Saved,
power cycled, verified that it was saved. Started car. No change at all.
Did I miss something? If one mod doesn't have any effect, what
expectation do I have that the other one works?
ian

·
Registered
704 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Vipe29 »

I know i know, im still a noob, but once i pick up my R32, it will be my first VDubb. ...
and thanks in advance...

I need a crying icon

Your first VW will be an R32. That is awesome. Congrats dude, I can't stop thinking about the R32. I hope all goes well and I will score one this summer.
R32 your first VW, that's like your first BMW being an M3. Hotness

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Remove your speed limiter! (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
BTW, in case it isn't clear from following the links and such. It uses the same
serial to OBDII connector cable as VAG-COM, it just speaks a different protocol.
So here's the odd thing though. I went and performed the mod.
Bumped the speed limiter up 25kph, saved, power cycled the ignition,
restarted the app, told it to load the values, verified that it showed
the new +25kph saved change. But then I'm not about to go test it out,
so instead I also tried bumping the idle speed up 300 rpms. Saved,
power cycled, verified that it was saved. Started car. No change at all.
Did I miss something? If one mod doesn't have any effect, what
expectation do I have that the other one works?
ian

I didn't try the idle speed, but I would have assumed it would have worked the same. Is it possible that idle (and maybe even speed limiter) values are stored in a different place in memory? Are you able to bump up the idle speed using just the VAG-COM software?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Perfekt »

Are you able to bump up the idle speed using just the VAG-COM software?

Yes. You can bump Idle speed using the vag-com.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Re: Remove your speed limiter! (bjettin)

Regarding the idle-speed change, there are often multiple locations for idle speed in addition to many prerequisites (AC on/off, EPC, load, etc.) so that could make it more difficult to modify. The top-speed limiter should be a simple, one value system. Even the early OBD I cars have a basic and then a back-up rev-limiter though, as an example. One is adjustable and I couldn't find a way to adjust the other.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Re: Remove your speed limiter! (Steadythisknife)

Didn't HPA say they got their R32 with Twin-Turbos over 200mph?
Nice, so you can do this without a chip, but you still have to invest in a VAG-COM link and software, and a laptop if you don't have one.

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
Re: Remove your speed limiter! (kn7671)

For this particular mod you need only the cable, and the software is free.
Finding someone in your area who can hook you up, is not that hard.
HPAs car has a GIAC chip.
ian

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: Remove your speed limiter! (Daemon42)

I sold my extemely modded 97 Eclipse GSX on Sat. I went to VW dealer to "look" at a GTI 1.8T and drove out in a new R32. I know quite a bit about turbo aplications and know nothing about VR6s and how to upgrade them. Why would VW make a car that was limited anyway? If anyone can point me to some good wedsite that offer R32 performance parts and info (if there are any yet) that would be very helpfull.
Jim

1 - 20 of 57 Posts