VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71, Accord DD
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I loosened the last bolt (the front driver's side), antifreeze started leaking out. as I removed the bolt, a considerable amount dribbled out (considering there is not a coolant resivoir there). What's up with that?
I was also wondering what's up with the 4 bolts that mount the rack on there. I removed the nuts, the rack, and the bolts don't seem to come out of the subframe. I need to have this thing powdercoated and that means these have to come out. Does anyone know for sure that it's cuttin' time?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Re: Removed my subframe yesterday and.. (fopeano)

there are drain passages in the engine bay, thats most likely where your coolant came from...nothing to worry about at all.
The steering rack bolts are pressed in, I would leave them where they are and tell the powdercoater to skip over them. (he has a big oven doing a subframe!!) you can cut them out and replace with regular bolts but I would'nt...

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: Removed my subframe yesterday and.. (PAGTI91)

I would say make sure the powdercoater(I assume it's Powdertech in Rotterdam, right? They're good, and can handle whole drag car tube chassis.) knows to mask the threads. I use the Eastwood "Hot Coat" home powdercoating system w/a friend, and we mask bolt threads w/aluminum foil. Hi-temp masking tape is also available, but "dollar store" foil is a better value.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts