VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scoring a clipper kit from a '89 Cabby that suffered major wiring fry and is headed for the great yard in the sky. What am I going to need to remove the pieces and how long do you think it will take (I am an average mechanic)? I'd just take the car to my house and pull it at my leisure but stoopid HOA won't allow that kind of activity http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
I want to make sure I get all the needed pieces to put it on my '84...
TIA

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Re: Removing a clipper kit - what do I need? (Rob Stercraw)

I dont know about removing, but installing of a Clipper kit that I saw in Bentley last night really scared me: you need to use tape a lot, etc.... Scary enough for me not to even think about removal.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Re: Removing a clipper kit - what do I need? (Cab42)

theres a couple of rivets to drill out where the arches connect to the bumps. youll need a drill, then, some wrenches for the bumps (19 or 21 mm? i cant remember - take a whole set), two jackstands and a set of screwdrivers. pliers to disconnect the turn signal wires.
oh, and some brute force. dont forget that. example, heres how to remove the front bumper skin and rebar:
>drill out the three rivets on the inside of the front arches, where they meet the front bumper
>get you fingers between the bump and the grille and pull the skin upwards. youll hear it pop. there are at least seven clips you need to pop up
>the bump skin is now only attached to the rebar with clips on the inside at the front. basically its stuck into holes on the rebar. you cant access them so you have the get some leverage and pull HARD. they will pop out. all 15-ish of them
>now take your wrenches to the rebar, it will be connected to the bumper bracket and that nut is probably frozen. if you cant get it off get under the car and remove both brackets then pull (hard) and the rebar will slide right out - careful, though, its heavy
rinse and repeat on the rear. side skirts are easier. arches will now just be held on with screws and tape.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah, the rebar is 19mm. When you take the side skirts off, first remove the screws attaching it to the bottom of the car. Then you can push the skirts straight up and it will pop off of the clips that secure it to the side of the body.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: Removing a clipper kit - what do I need? (Rob Stercraw)

You have sound advise from the others but I thought abit more clarity may be helpful
Like it says above driil out rivits on the inner wheel well side of the arches where they meet front and rear bumper covers you may need a trim fork tool or needle nose to keep 'em from spinning and melting plastic
Front and rear bumpers are held on with a pair 19mm bolts thats all (dont pull off the covers unless thats all you really need but steel is unique to clipper kit)
side skirts are easy as stated above just back out the phillips screws on the gray mounting clips before pulling them out and draw a measured sketch of the location of the mounting holes for these skirt clips YOU WILL NEED horizontal and vertical dimensions to locate/mount on a non clipper A1/MK1
hope this helps

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Re: Removing a clipper kit - what do I need? (A1 Cabriolet)

Quote, originally posted by A1 Cabriolet »
Front and rear bumpers are held on with a pair 19mm bolts thats all (dont pull off the covers unless thats all you really need but steel is unique to clipper kit)

Sorry to be dense, but just to confirm - so both front & rear bumpers can be removed from the car, skin & all? That is, the plastic doesn't have to be pulled from the rebar bumper? (This part sounds like a royal pain, judging from Dino's description!)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: Removing a clipper kit - what do I need? (netarc)

Yep Ali you dont have to pull the polyurathane from the steel reinforcement unless you are replacing just the cover
as you know my current cabby is an 86 that cost a nickle and I adapted a clipper kit to it and youve seen the two clipper kits I have in the garage anyway it's a gravey job to remove installing it take care as this is a cosmetic item and fit and finish a evereything ...hey Ali just drive down the hill to my garage friend we'll pull'em in 30 minutes just drop me a line

Modified by A1 Cabriolet at 9:08 PM 9-17-2004

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Re: Removing a clipper kit - what do I need? (A1 Cabriolet)

Quote, originally posted by A1 Cabriolet »
Yep Ali you dont have to pull the polyurathane from the steel reinforcement unless you are replacing just the cover
as you know my current cabby is an 86 that cost a nickle and I adapted a clipper kit to it and youve seen the two clipper kits I have in the garage anyway it's a gravey job to remove installing it take care as this is a cosmetic item and fit and finish a evereything ...hey Ali just drive down the hill to my garage friend we'll pull'em in 30 minutes just drop me a line

Cool, thx for the confim, Carlos ... yeah, I'll probably take you up on that, thanks for the offer! I'll shoot you an email to set up a time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.