VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a maybe 3 inch deep scratch on my moms car that has been bugging me since the rest of the car is flawless. It's deep and your nail catches it and I have tried to lightly polish it out to see if it did anything and no luck. It's annoying but I'd love to fix it for her. She has a VW so the clear is a pain as well. Is there any way to fix this? I remember seeing people actually use touch up paint, then sand it down, and polish it out. Is there any write ups/guides on this? I don't have a picture currently but I'm wondering my options.
She's having it detailed by a guy in town in a few weeks and he does amazing work but doesn't do paint touch ups since he doesn't want to be responsible if anything goes wrong. I'd love to get this done before hand. Any help is appreciated a.k.a 67 Customs, Jesstzn, and Me, help me out!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Re: Removing a Deep Scratch. (Andrew Gallagher)

Haven't done it. Yet. I'd like to try the touch-up stuff on a few (out of the hundreds) of rock chips on my paint. I don't have any straight-line RDS on my paint though.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Removing a Deep Scratch. (67Customs)

The color is Fiji Blue? It's a dark blue like color. I planned on buying everything that guy listed in that thread. Sanding Block, Meg. 2,000-2,500 grit, Touch Up Paint, and I was going to mix 70% Alcohol and Water. Have you done it 67's? Any tips?

·
Registered
12,746 Posts

The color of the vehicle is null when talking about the actual work you have to put into fixing it.
The only role color plays is being able to conceal any imperfections that might be left over after the fix is complete if it isn't done to perfection.
With your color being dark blue, you will really need to do it right in order for it to be well hidden.
Yes, I have done it before. Many times.
Do you have a high speed buffer? If not, then you aren't going to be able to completely finish the project. If you have one, then let me know and I will give you some tips.

·
Registered
12,746 Posts

A PC with 4" pads will work much better, but yes, you do have what it takes to finish.
My best piece of advice is patience. Don't try to get this done fast or it will look like you hurried.
When looking for touch up paint, don't get the pen. Get the liquid with the brush. Except you don't want to use the brush. You either want to use the smallest artist brush you can find or a tooth pick.
Read both of those DIYs a few times. Get really familiar with the techniques.
Don't skip the prep. It makes it easier to apply the paint and it makes the repair last.
Don't brush the paint into the scratch or chip, Let it flow from the brush into the scratch or chip. Fill a little at a time until it is slightly above the surface of the clear.
Wait at least 24 hrs before you wetsand. You want it to still be kinda soft, but you don't want it to bead off from it still being to wet.
About 30 min before you wetsand, put a drop of auto wash into a two gallon bucket and then fill it up. Drop the sandpaper into th water and then wait that 30 min.
In that 30 min, prep the paint for wetsanding. Clean it off with some QD.
When wetsanding, keep the paper going in one direction. Put very light pressure on it. Let the paper do the work. The harder you press, the more likely you are to get random deep scratches. Going in the same direction will keep any random deep scratches that might get into the paint going in the same direction and that will make them less noticeable. I generally go in the direction of the vehicle.
Keep the surface well lubed while wetsanding. Don't spare the water. Keep it as wet as possible.
When wetsanding touch up paint on a repair, you just want to sand off the touch up paint and remove as little clear as possible. That is why you just want it to glide across the surface. Apply just enough pressure for the paper to make contact with the surface.
After wetsanding, wash that area off really well.
After that, it is time for polishing. I would start with something like Optimum Hyper Compound and a LC 4" foamed wool pad on speed 6 to remove the wetsanding scratches.
After than, finish the paint off like you normally would. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.