VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've searched for it, but can't find anything specific to removing the aluminum trim above the glove box. I'm installing a dension ice link and need to run the wire. I've tried prying the trim piece off but it doesn't seem like it pops off. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Re: (VizStorm)

Quote, originally posted by VizStorm »
I took off the side fuse panel and was able to pop the trim piece off up to the radio. The circled area is where I can't get it removed...

Hmm...I bet my V10 has enough torque to pull that sucker outta' there. But I'm not sure when I'll be in your part of the country next.

Seriously though...can't you just "wedge" the antenna wire in there enough to be hidden? Do you have to pop off the trim to accomplish what you need?

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Re: removing aluminum trim (VizStorm)

i've searched for it, but can't find anything specific to removing the aluminum trim above the glove box.

Information about how to remove trim bits like this is contained in the Touareg Repair Manual. There are three ways you can get access to this information, I have listed them below in order of preference:
1) From your dealer. Just speak with the service advisor, ask them to look it up for you in the electronic repair manual that they have, and to print it out for you. Most dealers will be quite happy to do this.
2) You could purchase a 3 day subscription for web (internet) access to the Touareg repair manual from Bentley Publishers, the company that publishes and distributes this information for Volkswagen.
3) You could buy a CD that contains the complete manual from the same company.
The CD is worth buying if you think you will be doing a lot of fooling around with the vehicle. But, if you think this will be your 'one and only' modification, then it is probably simplest and easiest to go to your VW dealer and ask them to print out the appropriate pages for you.
Michael

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: removing aluminum trim (PanEuropean)

Quote, originally posted by PanEuropean »
Information about how to remove trim bits like this is contained in the Touareg Repair Manual. There are three ways you can get access to this information, I have listed them below in order of preference:

that's more involved procedures than I have time for. I figured with all the modifactions and installations going on around this forum that someone has done this before. The best way to run the cradle wire for the dension ice link is through the glove box and this is the best way (for me anyways) to go about without having to "wedge" or have the wire showing. I like clean installs.

Modified by VizStorm at 10:31 PM 6-22-2005

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: removing aluminum trim (touareg007)

Quote, originally posted by touareg007 »
Maybe following Michael's advise will be wise before you break something or deploy the airbag...

I'm not going to break anything or deploy the airbag. I just figured someone else may know how the left side is attached.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Re: removing aluminum trim (VizStorm)

...that's more involved procedures than I have time for.

Hi Ryan:
If I knew how to do it, I would tell you, honest.
Problem is, I own a Phaeton, not a Touareg. I know that the Phaeton manual contains very detailed instructions for removing all those little trim bits, hence the reason I suggested the manual.
If you hang in there for a few days, there is a good chance that a forum member who knows how to remove this part from a Touareg will make a post giving you more info. But, even with that info (from someone who has done it before), you might be more comfortable about tackling the job if you have the printed instructions, with the illustrations.
Good luck with your project.
Michael

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: removing aluminum trim (PanEuropean)

Quote, originally posted by PanEuropean »
Hi Ryan:
If I knew how to do it, I would tell you, honest.
Problem is, I own a Phaeton, not a Touareg. I know that the Phaeton manual contains very detailed instructions for removing all those little trim bits, hence the reason I suggested the manual....
Good luck with your project.

Thanks for your help Michael! Your right, your suggestion is the best thing to do for sure. Its just that I'm no where near a vw dealer now, and I'm leaving town this weekend; so I wanted to try and finish it as soon as I could. Under normal circumstances I would definately do as you have suggested. Oh well, I will probably just find a temporary solution then when I have time to get my hands on the manual I will.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.