VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about to paint my 84 gti and want to remove the two rear windows and the rear glass w/o cutting the seals as they are in good shape. Can this be done w/o braking the glass so I can reuse the glass and the seals? thanks for the help

·
Registered
21,868 Posts
Re: Removing glass w/o ruining seals (mjcari)

Just push em out, be careful, and use a hook tool or something to help get the seal over the pinchweld. Start in a corner.
Tempered glass is pretty damn strong, I wouldnt worry bout it too much. Sides will be easier than the back glass, so start with them to get the idea. If they have been siliconed or urethaned to try to fix any leaks, getting it out without wrecking the rubber will be much harder.

Modified by LostBoyScout at 1:26 PM 7-25-2005

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Re: Removing glass w/o ruining seals (LostBoyScout)

The side windows on mine popped out pretty easilly - have someone inside put pressure on them with their feet - it gives you a large surface area and minimizes the chance of the glass breaking. The person outside then works on the seal, starting at a corner.
The rear window ended up exploding - so while tempered glass is strong, when it goes it does so violently. The key is even pressure, which is where I screwed up on my rear glass. I got one corner close, so added more pressure there and ended up sending my hand through it. It's much easier to do if you have two people, since one can work the seal while the other works on keeping the pressure even.
- Fab

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.