VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 jetta with the bose system and i wanna take out the bose headunit.....are there any other tools i can use to take it out other than goin to a dealer and getting ones from there....

· Registered
238 Posts
Re: removing headunit..... (VelreyW)

do a search on this, i just saw a post like this 2 weeks ago. you dont really need any special tools. just a really small flathead screwdriver that you can stick in the slots on both sides of the radio. first take off the dummy panels on both sides of the radio. you'll see slots on both sides. pick a side, stick the screwdriver in, and try to gently push the clip, while also gently pulling on the radio. its a pain cause you cant really see the clip, but just keep pokin around and pullin on the radio gently until you get some movement. i think there was 1 clip on both sides right in the middle of the radio. once you get one side, go for the other side. its a pain, but its do-able

· Banned
4,931 Posts
Re: removing headunit..... (DUB_Creator)

This will work if he has the radio that has the round holes in the side of the the face of the radio, but if he has the radio with the straight up and down slots on either side, you just need something very thin to stick into both slots in order to release the tabs that hold the radio in.
Quote, originally posted by DUB_Creator »
Go to pep-boys and find a removal kit for a ford, its the same stuff and it cost like 3 or 4 bux, that will remove the radio with no problem.

· Banned
4,931 Posts
Re: (DUB_Creator)

If you do have the slotted radio, and you can't seem to get it out, just go to pretty much any stereo shop, or electronics store that sells car audio, and ask them if they can yank the radio out for you. Most smaller, independantly owned stores will usually do it for you for nothing. I know I do all the time, not too sure what others do. Either way, good luck, and if you need any help, feel free to hit me with an IM.

· Registered
3,809 Posts
Re: (SalemNHGreenGolf)

you may also want to unmount the climate control and tuck it out of the way. you will not be able to remove it unless you detach the cables but you can just tuck it aside and you will gain a lot more clearance making the job that much easier.

· Banned
4,931 Posts
Re: (Maflagulator)

Quote, originally posted by Maflagulator »
you may also want to unmount the climate control and tuck it out of the way. you will not be able to remove it unless you detach the cables but you can just tuck it aside and you will gain a lot more clearance making the job that much easier.

Very good trick when mounting a new radio! Just pull out the ashtray, pull off the trim around the heater knobs, remove the 6 screws, pull out the switch panel, push in and down on the climate controls, and it makes it a whole lot easier to install an aftermarket radio, as far as getting everything to fit back there and guide wires. Nice tip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.