VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Removing interior pieces/parts - how much gains?!

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  1.8t man 
#1 ·
I've got a 2001 1.8T - its a GTI specifically. My best run to date is a 13.9 @ 99 MPH - and my goal for the 2002 season is a 13.50!
The changes to my car over the winter include going from what was a 3" into 2.25" exhaust into a 2.5" all the way exhaust. I've also added some sticky tires to the mix (Yokohama A032R) in exchange for street tires! Additionally, a Quaife LSD, new clutch, really light aluminum flywheel, and maybe I'll go on a diet myself!
Some people have suggested I rip out the back seat and remove the spare tire. My attitude has always been that I can brag about my full interior,etc. However, how much weight does the back seat, etc, really weigh? What comes out easy, and how much of a gain will I see? Thoughts.....?!?!

#3 ·
Re: Removing interior pieces/parts - how much gains?! (Shaka)

The only removable part of the back seat are the cushions. Like 5lbs max, removing the full size spare and etc. is the most beneficial. Im not sure of any thing else, just removed the rear seats to install my stereo/amp. Removing that 10lb Manual in the glove box might help

KrautFed in Alabama

#5 ·
Re: Removing interior pieces/parts - how much gains?! (KrautFed)

The seat cushions are NOT the only part you can remove. I took out the entire back seat the other day - including the back rests. The cushions are not heavy, but the backrests are. I would say about 30-40 pounds for both, but this is just a guess. I was really surprised by how heavy they are! Oh, and take the change out of your ash tray!

#7 ·
Re: Removing interior pieces/parts - how much gains?! (Bob Opla)

i definitely agree with this statement
quote:[HR][/HR]i've seen gains of more than 1/10th of a second for 100 pounds. i would say more like 200 is .3[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#8 ·
Re: Removing interior pieces/parts - how much gains?! (oneflygti)

I haven't had back seats in my GTI for months, they sit in my apartment, and collect dust. I'm thinkin about makin a couch out of them. The back rests are heavy te cushions aren't
Mike

#10 ·
Re: Removing interior pieces/parts - how much gains?! (Bundaho)

quote:[HR][/HR]good rule of the gains you can see. For every 100lbs of weight savings...you will knock off a 1/10 a sec off the 1/4 time.[HR][/HR]​

Thats a crock.....according to that figure, if you lost 1000lbs you would only lose 1 sec!!!! hahahaha NO!!!

#11 ·
Re: Removing interior pieces/parts - how much gains?! (PowerDubs)

quote:[HR][/HR]Thats a crock.....according to that figure, if you lost 1000lbs you would only lose 1 sec!!!! hahahaha NO!!![HR][/HR]​
And how long have you been around dragracing....my father has been bracket raceing for about 8 years now....and i didnt say it was a sure thing.....its a good rule. So do you have somekind of proof to back up your statement.

#13 ·
Re: Removing interior pieces/parts - how much gains?! (Shaka)

For quick weightloss at the track that can be put back easily in the MKIV's, my friends and I
Remove tools and spare
Backseat
Passenger Seat
Random Stuff in the car (binders, cd's etc)
Its not to hard to get the door panels on and off either but I never take them off.
That alone could very well make the difference in your time.

#15 ·
All I know is, I took out all seats and replaced them with 11lb race seats + 4lbs of steel in the brackets, total loss in car was 148lbs. Car feels faster cant wait for the track to open.
Next to go will be all panels ( to be replaced with carbon fiber, just found out a friend of mine works for Newman Haus racing, he's looking into geting me some sheets made, or some offcuts ) I figure this should be good for another 30 or 40lbs, spare and toolkit about 40lbs, other crap that can go 20-30lbs. Good for about 210lbs total.
We'll see the gains when finished and the track tells the tale I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.