VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way i can get rid of these tiny scratches? without using a buffer? they arent real noticable, but after time will make my paint hazy looking, so i want to rid the paint of them now and keep up on it, i wax my car every 4 washes, to ensure exposure from the elements dosent get to it, plus its stays in a garage at night, or whene ever im home for that matter.. the paint is a little over a year old, and it needs to stay looking good, as it is a show car as well as a daily driver..any help is greatly appreciated
mark2...

· Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: removing light scratches from washing? (Maflagulator)

Quote, originally posted by Maflagulator »
What are you using to wash your car? i found that most cleaner waxes would fill in swirl marks from dirty wash mits.

i use a sponge, i used to use a wash mit , but i found that it picks up debris way to easily... is ther eanything else besides cleaner wax you would recommend?
mark2... btw. thank you for the info

· Registered
906 Posts
Re: removing light scratches from washing? (HeliosGTI)

Yes, there are definitely other things that you can try. Personally, I don't care for cleaner wax. A polish wax combination?? How does the polish mixed in know to remove the old wax and not the new stuff?? Never seemed logical to me how this could work properly and seems to just be a way to cut corners and eliminate a step. Try using a high quality glaze and then a good polish before you wax several times per year. That will fill in and hide whatever scratches are there. Plus, your technique is critical to reducing the number of scratches you put in the car. Are you washing, drying, waxing in circles?? If so, stop!! Back and forth only.

Here's a link to a post I did that's complete on what technique is good to reduce scratches and some of the products I'd recommend:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1162779

· Registered
335 Posts
Re: removing light scratches from washing? (HeliosGTI)

http://www.bettercarcare.com/topics.php?topicId=17
This is a great new site that offers lots of articles on car care. I've posted the link to the Detailing How-To series, there maybe some articles other than the one on polishing paint that may interest you. This is a great place to start to learn about polishing your paint to get the swirls out.
You can get desired results from hand polishing, it just may take you more time than machine polishing but it can be accomplished. Make sure you purchase a product that states on the bottle that is can be applied by hand; I like the einszett line of polishes for hand application (www.1z-usa.com), they are very easy to work with and removal is a breeze. Meguiars also has a great line of polishes, like Swirl Remover 2.0, is it something of a cleaner/polish that will remove contaminates and wax build-up while polishing out swirls plus it can be hand applied. Both the polishes I listed contain fillers that will leave oils to fill in the deeper swirls and scratches that you can't get out. If you are interested in the einszett line visit http://www.detailersparadise.com, they have all the 1Z line of polishes on sale this month - $9.99 for 500ml.
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.