VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive happened along a g60 corrado, which i got for nothing, but came with no keys at all. ive read the bentley manual about removing the key cylinder, which seems like to problem until i get to the part of inserting the key, which i do not have.

can i get it out without a key?

I called the local vw shop and he said, "No, you'll never get it out of there, bring it to me" ... which could either be true or be him trying to get money out of me.

so here i am posting up

any input would be appreciated

no i do not have the key tag, its not on the lock cylinder or with the owners manual unless theres somewhere they stick them in the vehicles i dont know of

thanks for any help
Mark

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
If you haven't destroyed the lock yet have you asked VW to cut a new key for you? Certainly in the UK they can cut a key from the VIN number using the database back at the factory. Not sure if US dealers can do the same though.

The part number is 357 837 219 A. Shouldn't be very expensive.

If you have destroyed the lock then another option is to buy a complete steering column with keys from a parted car, and possibly get the door handles and hatch lock for it as well.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
You'll never get it out with no key at all, but if you can find any VW key of that style it is possible.

The tumblers will prevent the cylinder coming out of the housing, so with the original key obviously they would all be retracted and it would just slide out. If you can get another Corrado key, or one from a Scirocco, Golf 1-3, >97 Passat then you can use it to trip the tumblers one at a time by moving it in and out of the lock as you try to remove the cylinder. Its a PITA and quite tricky but it is do-able :thumbup:

If you haven't destroyed the lock yet have you asked VW to cut a new key for you? Certainly in the UK they can cut a key from the VIN number using the database back at the factory. Not sure if US dealers can do the same though.

The part number is 357 837 219 A. Shouldn't be very expensive.

If you have destroyed the lock then another option is to buy a complete steering column with keys from a parted car, and possibly get the door handles and hatch lock for it as well.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220770451689&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

^^No?

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Dammit you are right - I am talking complete rubbish :facepalm: I was thinking of the door handles, and even looking at one of those you ought to be able to get the cylinders without a key. Don't know why I couldn't last time I did one :rolleyes:

Edited my post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
us dealers cant cut a key for my 90 model without the key tag or whatever that little piece is called that has the code on it, which i also dont have. so should i have a problem removing it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the drivers door doesnt open from the outside so they probably are haha, that key code can get me the ignition key cut as well?

thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
well the drivers door doesnt open from the outside so they probably are haha, that key code can get me the ignition key cut as well?

thanks for the help everyone
Yes, since (normally) the same key is used for the doors/hatch and ignition ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool. sorry for the stupid questions, my 2001 camaro has a seperate ignition key and door key, i didnt realize vw was already into the same key game that early

this is the first vw ive owned, repaired quite a few in my years, but never owned one.

i sure picked a winner haha

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I do this at work all the time.

Call the dealer, give them your VIN, they will sell you a lock tumbler for the Ignition and 2 keys.

$68.00.

As long as the handles are original, they should fit.

BTW, you have to DRILL the lock cylinder out of the column.

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,483 Posts
http://www.watercooledkey.com/

Submit order, send one door handle (they do this for security), so long as key code is still visible on handle.
IIRC, they charge $20 to punch out a 'generic' key ($15 cut charge, +$5 for the blank.) If you want an OEM key, price goes up according to the cost of the blank.

As others said, so long as all of the locks are original, it'll fit all (igntion, doors, hatch, glovebox, and gas cap (if yours is locking)) of the locks on the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the only number i can find on the whole door handle assembly is 5358337205 on the top half of the little y shaped lock mechanism, is this my key code or a part number for the piece?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
the only number i can find on the whole door handle assembly is 5358337205 on the top half of the little y shaped lock mechanism, is this my key code or a part number for the piece?

Go to the dealer with VIN#.
Pay in advance for special order.
Wait for order.
Get OEM Tumbler and OEM Keys that fit your car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the dealership cant cut a key by vin on my car.

at least thats what they said when i asked them a week ago

i mentioned that earlier in the thread

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,483 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts