VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Re: removing lower oil pan, do i need to torque the bolts after? (GTIginsterVR6)

11ft/lbs maybe? Sure it's that gasket and not the oil cooler o-ring running down?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: removing lower oil pan, do i need to torque the bolts after? (SequoiaGLX)

Well I bought the car last week and the guy included an oil pan gasket just because he "had one around" or something. I'm assuming he knew it was going bad but didn't want to replace it if he was going to be selling it. I can see where the oil is seeping out from around the seal between the upper and lower oil pan pieces so I'm assuming its the gasket.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: removing lower oil pan, do i need to torque the bolts after? (GTIginsterVR6)

I've never worked with oil systems on cars. How much more work would it be to install a new oil pump while I have it all apart? I also have a brand new oil pump, not sure that I need it or anything but if its easy enough to do I could probably just replace the old one while I'm working on it.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts

For a MKIV it's 11 ft-lbs. for the oil pan to engine block bolts and 33 ft-lbs. for the oil pan to transmission bolts (from the MKIV Bentley, page 17-13). It's probably the same for the MKIII.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: removing lower oil pan, do i need to torque the bolts after? (VgRt6)

alright, thanks alot, this is for a corrado slc but I will assume it is the same for that also

1 - 7 of 7 Posts