VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the details forum, but nobody is there and I want to work on the car. I am removing some old stickers which I peeled off pretty easily so far. How do I get the sticker adhesive off the paint? There is a good amount of the glue still on there. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Re: Removing stickers --- question (76 Golf GTi)

easiest way:
go to a sign company and buy a couple of dollars of un-glue or rapid remover, spray it on let it set a coupleof minutes and the glue just slides off, clean with a rag and you are done, that stuff does not damage your paint
the other solution will be using decal remover from the autoparts, is very sinilar to what the sign shops use but not as good and way more expensive

·
Registered
22,174 Posts
Re: Removing stickers --- question (stevelangford)

PPG Ditz-o....available from most body shop supply stores...also known as acryli-clean adhesive and grease remover....

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Removing stickers --- question (dubdaze68)

For once an easier way to do things. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I hated the thought of scrubbing it for hours on end with who knows what...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Re: Removing stickers --- question (76 Golf GTi)

Rubber cement thinner. Comes in a tiny bottle available at an office supply store. Cost = $2.00.
Contact cement thinner works too, available at hardware stores...

·
Banned
7,868 Posts
Re: Removing stickers --- question (Singlerounds)

i usually use an eraser wheel, but if i dont have access to one i always break out the razor blade and the wd40 technique, when i bout my 84 gti it had a parking sticker from 84 , i hit it up with some wd and let it sit for awhile and went at it, took a couple of hits but it worked , wd40 is something everyone has so there u go a cheap way http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Re: Removing stickers --- question (pineapplegti)

i have used ronsonol lighter fluid in the past with good results, does not seem to harm the paint.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Goo Gone works OK too. Just don't be in a hurry. I've tried to put it on a rag and rub and it doesn't work real well. If you can leave it on for 15 minutes or more, most adhesives come right off, and if its on a vertical surface, soak a rag or paper towel with the stuff and lay it on the stickys, and wipe off later.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Re: (twoconnguy)

Quote, originally posted by twoconnguy »
Goo Gone works OK too. Just don't be in a hurry. I've tried to put it on a rag and rub and it doesn't work real well. If you can leave it on for 15 minutes or more, most adhesives come right off, and if its on a vertical surface, soak a rag or paper towel with the stuff and lay it on the stickys, and wipe off later.

thank you now i know why it wasn't working right away!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts