VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2011 GTI saturday, I noticed the front springs have these light orange colored spring spacers. IDK why VW put something like this on these cars. I assume these contribute to the large wheel gap and stiff bouncy ride up front.

I would guess people have taken these out? what would it effect if I remove them? would it drop the front any? I dont want to decrease the handling of the car

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
They are called "bump stops"

If you are staying at stock height there is no need to do anything with them.

some people trim them, when lowing their car to allow more suspension travel.

Again, at stock height there is no need to cut them out.

PS... I would image all OEM suspensions have bump stops

The main purpose of a bump stop is to serve as some final suspension cushion to keep the metal parts from coming together or from traveling too far, which might in some way damage the suspension or chassis.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are called "bump stops"

If you are staying at stock height there is no need to do anything with them.

some people trim them, when lowing their car to allow more suspension travel.

Again, at stock height there is no need to cut them out.

PS... I would image all OEM suspensions have bump stops
I've never seen bumpstops like this before. I dont see how they provide cushion being solid hard plastic. normal bumpstops are made of a foam materal and fit around the piston of the strut.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
I've never seen bumpstops like this before. I dont see how they provide cushion being solid hard plastic. normal bumpstops are made of a foam materal and fit around the piston of the strut.
again, what you're referring to aren't the bumpstops. Bullitt was thinking of a different thing.
you are referring to the spring coil spacers that are used for shipping. they should have been removed upon delivery of your vehicle.

·
Registered
'21 Gladiator, '16 MX-5 Club Brembo Pack, '21 Ducati Hypermotard, '21 Honda CRF450RL
41,681 Posts
Those are for tranport purposes. Take them out.

Some VW dealers are terrible at PDI's... I went to one lot and wrote down the stock numbers of over 10 vehicles with them in and gave them to the service manager... and gave him a fire the internal service manager look, lol. Thats what my brother does for a living with Bentley, Rolls, Merc, AMG, Maybach, and what I will be doing shortly.

My brothers GTI had one left in. WTF? Who takes out one but forgets to take out the other? And no one didn't fall out car had no miles.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
makes more sense, also explains the suspension noise I was having. I just took them out. I'm little upset about the dealer not doing their job and I just noticed the front tires are mismatched... WTF :confused: they're both Pirelli Pzero nero tires but the one is a 88W and has a slightly different tread patttern than the rest which are 92Y's. It must have been replaced at the dealer for some reason :sly:

·
Registered
'21 Gladiator, '16 MX-5 Club Brembo Pack, '21 Ducati Hypermotard, '21 Honda CRF450RL
41,681 Posts
makes more sense, also explains the suspension noise I was having. I just took them out. I'm little upset about the dealer not doing their job and I just noticed the front tires are mismatched... WTF :confused: they're both Pirelli Pzero nero tires but the one is a 88W and has a slightly different tread patttern than the rest which are 92Y's. It must have been replaced at the dealer for some reason :sly:
Go back! Lol wow what dealer is this? I'd talk to the service manager only about this. That shouldn't happen.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go back! Lol wow what dealer is this? I'd talk to the service manager only about this. That shouldn't happen.
Vic Bailey VW in Spartanburg, SC. It sucks because now I dont trust this dealership and I've already been screwed by the service dept. at the other local VW/Audi dealer buceause they messed up my S4... This just makes me hate dealerships in general... to #ell with 3 years free maintainence, I'll do it all myself because I cant trust anybody with my car

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
I saw this thread the other day and decided I should take a look in the front fenders as my car also seems kinda high in the front and the ride is kinda crappy!

Saw this...

Jacked up each side this morning and pulled them out.

Will be nice to see how much the front settles. It will also be nice to see how much better the ride quality and handling are now that the suspension will be functioning as it should!

·
Registered
41,681 Posts
Vic Bailey VW in Spartanburg, SC. It sucks because now I dont trust this dealership and I've already been screwed by the service dept. at the other local VW/Audi dealer buceause they messed up my S4... This just makes me hate dealerships in general... to #ell with 3 years free maintainence, I'll do it all myself because I cant trust anybody with my car
I've never been to a VW dealer for service besides one minor warranty claim. I'd give VWoA a call too and tell them what is going on. They like to know what the service departments are up too. Leaving those in is a major no-no.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've never been to a VW dealer for service besides one minor warranty claim. I'd give VWoA a call too and tell them what is going on. They like to know what the service departments are up too. Leaving those in is a major no-no.
I emailed VWoA and they replied apologizing for this and told me they will be in contact with the dealership about this and my tire problem

1 - 20 of 23 Posts