VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be dropping the tank from two different Quattro TT's this weekend (check my project thread if you're interested in the why, lol).

I'm highly capable and will certainly be able to figure it out eventually, but the donor tank is on a parts car at an Audi indy shop, so I don't want to be "figuring it out" while under the car at someone else's place. I'm just looking for a little insight on best practice/approach/etc, but my Google searches haven't turned up much of anything.

Prop shaft and exhaust will obviously have to come out. Does the rear subframe need to come down? I found two threads that mentioned pulling the rear subframe and one that only mentioned prop shaft and exhaust, but none of them went into any sort of real detail.

Again, just trying to avoid any surprises while under the car - especially since the heat index is supposed to be something stupid like 105°F/40°C tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
First thing I would do is pull up the back seat and remove both access covers so you can disconnect the sending unit and fuel lines.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainly. I've already done that on mine - I'd consider that the easy part, lol. My main concern is clearances for getting the tank out of the car. I've pulled tanks on MK2, MK3, and MK4 Golf/Jettas, as well as my Cobalt. Couple straps, couple lines, couple electrical connections, and done.

Honestly, I think all I'm really after is info on whether or not I need to drop the rear subframe, or if I can get away with just the prop shaft and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I worked on it yesterday - I'll post the update in my project thread eventually.

Exhaust, heat shielding, and propshaft all have to be removed.

The rear subframe absolutely has to come down to remove the tank. I didn't completely disconnect everything from the rear subframe, I just sort of got it to a point of hanging down in limbo, held up by the rear control arms, etc... but I also haven't got the tank all the way out yet - but it's damn close. I'll update as I go. Definitely not a quick and easy job like dropping most tanks though - I could have the tank out of my MK2 GTI in under 10 minutes. I have more than a handful of hours into the TT Quattro tank already, although I'm admittedly taking my time trying to ensure that I don't compound my problems by breaking anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.