VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to sound like an idiot, but is there some trick to removing the wiper motor from the rear hatch? I need to get it out of there so that the hatch can get painted, but I wrestled with it for about an hour last night before deciding to just leave it.
Any hints?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Re: Removing the rear wiper motor from a GTI (beetlevdubn)

There isn't really any trick to it. Just a PITA! I tried for an hour and a half myself when I just decided to leave it. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

it unbolts from the inside........

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Removing the rear wiper motor from a GTI (verboten)

I have the thing completely loose inside the rear hatch, I can move it around a little, but the space is so limited that the motor can't be twisted to be removed. By saying, "It unbolts from the inside" are you saying that you have to take it partially apart before it can be removed? If so, what has to come off first?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

if thats teh case then there is also a nut on teh outside under teh black plastic cover

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Removing the rear wiper motor from a GTI (verboten)

I have removed all of the mounting bolts, that isn't the issue.... the issue is that the motor itself has to rotate in order for the wiper shaft to come out of the hole in the hatch, and there is no space for the motor to twist far enough.
I'll double check tonight though, just in case.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts

What I did was remove all the bolts that I could see(I MEAN ALL THE BOLTS), including the huge nut holding it on the outside (remove the blade and you will see). Then I just moved around parts and linkages until it pulled out. Pain in the butt, but not too bad.... Only took like 20 min....

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Removing the rear wiper motor from a GTI (schleppy)

Well, I figured out what I was missing. I removed all of the bolts that attach the motor to the hatch, but totally didn't realize that I had to remove the bolt that holds the wiper linkage to the motor assembly. Once I removed this bolt, the linkage disconnects from the rest of the assembly, and it comes right out.
If anyone else wants to see where this infamous bolt is, I can take some pics of it for them.
Thanks for all of the tips,

·
Registered
11 Posts

I just did it last night. There are 4 bolts that hold the motor to rear hatch, and 1 bolt to holds the motor to the frame of the wiper. Once you remove those it's an easy out. Hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.