VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant find the topic where both nate and frank posted detailed instructions but i remember seeing it recent either here or the rado forum

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Re: Removing tranny (SSj4G60)

best bet is to lower the whole subframe of the car... i found that to be easiest after trying to get the tranny out with the subframe still bolted up and it didnt wanna come out, not enough room in there. i undid all motor mounts, "floated" the motor on a trans jack, undid suspension, 4 bolts that hold subframe to unibody, steering rack i belive... i forget being it was about a year ago but its pretty straight forward once you start workin

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Removing tranny (yellerrado)

well if i do what frank suggested w/ using a bolt from the tranny to pop out the parts the axle attaches to (cant think of the name) it shouldnt be that bad b/c when i was helping a friend do it thats what we got caught on if those were detached would come out easy as hell

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Re: Removing tranny (Rocc and Rado)

here is my photo album with the tranny pics:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290844583
picture #50-53 show how to remove the output flange
Other then that here is how you do itwithout pulling the subframe Excuse me if I forget a step or two:
-Remove DS axle (might be able to leave it in but its probably easier with it out) and unbolt PS inner CV joint
-drain tranny oil
-remove output flanges
-probably easiest with IC plumbing removed
-unbolt the shift cables at shift tower and then their bracket
-unbolt speedo cable (on 90) or unplug speedo sensor
-remove slave cylinder
-support motor from on top or from below
-remove starter/front motor mount
-unplug reverse switch
- unbolt rear tranny mount
-remove tranny mount brackets
-unbolt tranny from motor
-remove tranny becareful not to drop it on one's self it
you might want to jack the engine up a little to gain some room but that is the basic process from what I remember.
When reinstalling it I highly suggest you not put tranny fluid in until its installed. Also I usually bolt 2 chains to the top of the tranny so I can lift it with the chains to manuver it into place and on to the motor and into the clutch. you can also even use an engine hoist to hold it at the right hiegth as you wiggle it
Have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts