VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Aero wipers so tried removing the old wiper arms but I'm having trouble. If I'm doing it right it should come off easy but theyre not. I tried using some WD-40 but that didnt help. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please!! I need to change them as soon as I can. They were hot in the sun so i hosed them down to cool them to see if that helped but no luck so far. Someone else must've had trouble with these.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: (f1freak)

Can you explain what you have done so far? IE: removing the caps/nuts... If you have done all that try lifting the arm like you would when parking your car in icey conditions and then pushing the bottom part inward toward the car. Also you could try moving the wiper arm to the right like it does when you turn it on.

Modified by akoustk at 2:02 PM 7-26-2005

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the caps and nuts off. I would expect it to be pretty tough without doing that. My neighbor was trying to help me for a little. He'd taken his off his gti before but he couldnt get mine.
Explain exactly what you mean about pushing where. You mean put the wipers up in the air like when youre washing the car? It doesnt get very icy here so I'm afraid that example is lost on me.

·
Registered
240 Posts

they are a major pain... basically you can't do anything except pull on them as hard as you possibly can. wiggling back and forth (clockwise, counter-clockwise) and up and down while pulling helps. just realize that you are going to be sweating and swearing for a good few minutes before they come off. have fun, they will come off eventually.

·
Registered
15,993 Posts
Re: (StillStock)

did mine this weekend actually
just wiggle it back and forth and it will come up
make sure you put them back on before it rains alot
haha

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmmm... I'm worried I might break something. I'm not the strongest guy in the world but I'm not sure how sturdy all that stuff is. I'll try a bunch of stuff later when it cools off outside.

·
Registered
265 Posts

One of the things you can do to loosen them is to tap on them (right where they connect) with a hammer...be very careful. You can even hit them, more than just tapping, if you're careful. I did this with mine and they eventually slipped right off.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Re: (cartooney)

I bought a faucet puller from Home Depot. It worked fine to get the first one off but then it sort of fell apart on the second one, these are made for small plastic parts usually. I eventually got the other one off using the puller, held together with vise grips.
Leave the bolt on threaded about 1/2 way down so the puller pin can sit in the gap and stay on the center section of the bolt to help it come off.
I put some Ti-Prep anti seize compound on the threads to keep em from sticking again.
Aero wipers ROCK!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (screwball)

Quote, originally posted by screwball »

tap the wipers w/ the wood handle of a hammer. all they need is to be jarred a little and they'll pop right off.

Nope. That didnt work. I even used the hammer head to no avail.
I borrowed a puller from autozone and it was pretty easy from there. The new wipers are so nice. Very good mod, especially if you like to see in the rain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.