VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 LS430, 2012 GX460, 2005 ES330, 2018 Explorer PI
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to Vegas next week and we are going to get a rental car since Uber/Lyft are still pretty iffy and parking is free at most of the Strip properties. Looked at a fun rental from Turo but between the prices, the fees ($35 cleaning fee?), etc... lost interest in that pretty quick. I haven't rented a car in almost 20 years... curious to hear what other Vortexers do as far as insurance is concerned? Decline all coverage and use your own insurance in case something happens? Get the optional insurance? I have a Costco Citi Visa card that offers insurance, but it only covers what your regular insurance doesn't so it's actually not that great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
24,173 Posts
I would use your own insurance and just inspect the car before taking it off the lot. Before Coronavirus I was traveling for work almost every week, typically around LA, and not once did I run into an issue on the road or with the agency upon returning the car. To that point, I would rent from National and sign up for their free loyalty program called Emerald Club. This gets you access to their Emerald Aisle were you pay the intermediate rate but can choose whatever car is in the aisle. It's usually a random assortment of cars but 99% of the time equals a free upgrade to something nicer.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
My non-Covid-19 Vegas rental tip: get your butt to the rental building as fast as you can because cars run out. If a crowded flight (or flights) land that can create a crowd of renters and I've seen people get denied.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My non-Covid-19 Vegas rental tip: get your butt to the rental building as fast as you can because cars run out. If a crowded flight (or flights) land that can create a crowd of renters and I've seen people get denied.
Is a reservation not a guarantee of a car? The worst place I've been was the first time flying in to Florence, Italy, where the bus takes 20 minutes but it's a 2 minute walk. All the regulars had come and gone by the time the tourists got there, and it took an hour waiting for little old ladies to decide insurance and fuel and could they deal with a manual, and some without reservations were sent to the back of the line, but we got our Panda.

In Vancouver we talked to a travel agent or the hotel, who told us the airport rental counter was a cluster at the best of times, and we were coming in on a packed flight at some peak hour, so they had us cab to a smaller rental shop on the way to the hotel, with option to return to the airport location, and we got a turbo manual veloster.

In the US I typically use my own insurance and book with whatever credit card, and understand what to expect. Out of the country, I'm more likely to buy their insurance, since I don't want to deal with deposits and premiums and whatnot.

Being able to walk away from the car in whatever condition and know you're only looking at a few hundred dollars is worth it in Rome or Casablanca, maybe not such a concern in Vegas.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I also use my own insurance. I added "lost rental revenue" or whatever coverage to my personal insurance as well. I think it was $12/year.
def need the loss value... I scrapped a mustang and the loss value was $200+ out of pocket I had to pay, everything else was covered by additional insurance plan ($1200 or something)

... just something about mustangs and poles, they're just attracted to.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you already have auto & health coverage through your own policies, and additional auto coverage offered by your credit card company, the rental car company's CDW/LDW and personal injury products are a complete waste of money. Even if you don't have great coverage of your own, better to buy supplemental coverage from your own insurer or a third party than the pay the rental company's exorbitant fees.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I've been working in the rental car industry for 15 years, so here is my advice.

I won't make a recommendation to either take, or deny the LDW (loss damage waiver, as we call it with my company.) But I think I can provide you with information that may help you make an educated decision. Please remember, all front line rental agents are sales people, and all bonus off of the ancillary sales, including the sale of the LDW.

All of our cars throughout our company are insured. Thats the law. We have to carry insurance for each vehicle. What you are considering for purchase is the WAIVER, which means that should you be involved in an incident, generally speaking, with few exceptions, should you purchase the LDW, you won't be paying up after an incident. Regardless of fault, you are ALWAYS responsible for payment, unless you take the LDW. That even means that if you get rear ended by a drunk driver, YOU are responsible for paying our company for damages that occur to that rental car. Should you choose to pursue the dummy that rear ended you, thats up to you, but our company wants payment for the damage that occurred. We pursue the renter, unless they purchased the LDW.

Your credit card may cover some, or all of the damages. However, a CC company is still a third party as they are not the primary insurance provider (our company is PRIMARY, since we self-insure.) Even your personal auto insurance provider is third party, and while many advertise that you are covered, they too are sales people, who in many cases tell people that they are covered. The truth is, technically you may be covered, but lets say you are paying $100 per month for auto insurance to cover your 2015 GTI, with a value of $15,000. But now you rent a 2020 Mustang GT with a value of $45,000. Generally speaking, they don't want to cover that huge cost, and even if they do, good luck with your premiums going forward.

My personal experiences with this are as such...my wife was in an accident years ago and was provided with a complimentary rental car for 4 weeks from a company other than mine. She hardly drives the vehicle, and the vehicle she was given had a value that was significantly less than the vehicle we were insuring. She put 600 miles on the vehicle in 4 weeks, and knowing that we wouldn't be using that vehicle for much more than driving the kids to school, she skipped on purchasing the LDW. She decided to take a chance that in those 600 miles, she wouldn't get in an accident.

The second scenario is the opposite. My wife took the kids to Hawaii and i joined up 5 days later, at which point she turned in her rental car and I picked up a company provided vehicle in Hawaii (i don't pay for it and I always have the LDW because it is a company vehicle.) In this case she purchased the LDW for her rental, not because she is a bad driver, but because she was on unfamiliar roads, along with many others who were also on unfamiliar roads, and as such, makes last minute changes to the route. The chances of an incident are much higher than her normal driving in our city. I made her show me that she took the LDW prior to leaving the facility, because I just don't want to deal with the headache of paying any company for damage that occurred to their property, regardless of fault.

On another note, if you are flying in during the day and want a fun car, send me a PM. I can get you a decent deal and usually come up with decent options for cars. We are only open 0800-1600, so I know that doesn't fit many needs should you be flying in after those hours.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
No, the reservation is no guarantee. I got into Vegas late -- flight was delayed -- and the guy in front of me got the last car & there were 8-10 other people behind me. I understand they can't hold the car forever but it still pissed me off.

Edit: Again, not really relevant but sharing for exposure - if you are renting outside the USA please check everything out ahead of time. Unlike the states, your wife is not automatically allowed to drive the car and your American insurance policies may not cover things.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
A rental car company that runs out of vehicles is just a poorly run location. There is no need for that. Being in the industry for 15 years, i've done that to my customers several times, however, never once in the past 5-7 years. We all make mistakes, but some people just aren't too good at what they do and just don't plan, or worse, they knowingly do it because they make their bonus that way.

As for spouses as automatic drivers; that actually depends on the state. In the state of California, for example, spouses are automatically able to drive. However, in the State of Nevada, where he is picking the vehicle up, by law, all companies here can charge and do charge for the spouse to drive, up to the maximum of $13 per day. There are few exceptions, but basically follow the rule of driving the vehicle only if you are the renter, or if you have listed a driver as an additional authorized operator and have it shown as such on the actual contract.

·
Registered
19,752 Posts
I buy the rental car insurance these days. Even if your own policy has rental coverage it still hits against your policy and depending how it's setup, affects your account.

Buying the rental car insurance you can Thema and Louise that bitch into the Grand Canyon and assuming you live, you can just say peace out.

Regarding Turo, I had a great Turo experience in Vegas with a 2018 M3. Ended up not much more expensive than Enterprise for the week and driving a Yas Marina blue M3 was more fitting than some cute ute.

Although looks like he raised the price a decent amount since I booked last fall, IIRC I got it for $100 a day. Times are tough out there with the lockdowns. https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/united-states/las-vegas-nv/bmw/m3/360239

·
Registered
2006 LS430, 2012 GX460, 2005 ES330, 2018 Explorer PI
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I buy the rental car insurance these days. Even if your own policy has rental coverage it still hits against your policy and depending how it's setup, affects your account.

Buying the rental car insurance you can Thema and Louise that bitch into the Grand Canyon and assuming you live, you can just say peace out.

Regarding Turo, I had a great Turo experience in Vegas with a 2018 M3. Ended up not much more expensive than Enterprise for the week and driving a Yas Marina blue M3 was more fitting than some cute ute.

Although looks like he raised the price a decent amount since I booked last fall, IIRC I got it for $100 a day. Times are tough out there with the lockdowns. https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/united-states/las-vegas-nv/bmw/m3/360239
I looked at a few options but for three days, it's almost $400 for a fun car. Plus I have to clean the car or pay a cleaning fee? Meh. $145 for a Nissan Maxima or equivalent from Enterprise for the same three days. Maybe I'm just too cheap... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,752 Posts
I looked at a few options but for three days, it's almost $400 for a fun car. Plus I have to clean the car or pay a cleaning fee? Meh. $145 for a Nissan Maxima or equivalent from Enterprise for the same three days. Maybe I'm just too cheap... :rolleyes:
Yeah that one didn't have a cleaning fee, depends where you're going. We went to hoover dam and a few golf courses farther away so got to take on some twisties. Was also 1st time in Vegas, so when in Rome. But if we were just staying around town and using it to get from spot to spot, traffic sucked too much around the strip to have a fun car.

·
Registered
26,117 Posts
If you have full car insurance, you are generally adequately insured on any rental in the US. But you have to pay deductible if you f'up.

If you have full car insurance and a personal umbrella liability policy (many homeowner insurance as this rider), then you are covered on any damage after your car insurance runs out.

If you are paying the rental with you credit car that has primarily rental insurance (e.g. Chase Sapphire) , you are golden. Between the credit card and your own car insurance, you are covered. No need to even think about getting CDW from rental company.

Oh and if you are just going to the Stripe, there is no need for rental car. It will take you longer to drive anyway. Just walk (the whole Stripe is only 4 miles long but most people don't bother with the very far north or south) or take the bus (no really... it's the best way to get around the Stripe... super cheap too).

https://www.lasvegashowto.com/las-v...style double,terminal close to Fremont Street.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My United Visa (through Chase) offers primary rental car coverage that also applies to international destinations (Yes, there are some exceptions with certain countries i.e. Syria/Mozambique, but most locations are included).

The key is to find a credit card that offers primary rental car coverage, not secondary coverage.

These cards usually have an annual fee, but the benefits tend to make it worth it.

YMMV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.