VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to take my headliner down to fix the sagging material. Is there anything else recommended while I'm in there? Grease the sunroof track? Clean the drains? Check wiring? If so what do I look for and any DIY's I can look at?
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Re: Repairing headliner..anything else I should do? (jpete)

You already said it:
check drains
grease sunroof
also, inspect/replace antenna base gasket

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Re: Repairing headliner..anything else I should do? (CarlosFL)

where do you find the base antenna base gasket ?
Morons when they installed my radio never put it back on and its missing.

·
Registered
117 Posts

How do you fix the sagging material? I have to do the same to mine.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Re: Repairing headliner..anything else I should do? (passatnos)

Quote, originally posted by passatnos »
How do you fix the sagging material? I have to do the same to mine.

There are some threads that address some useful information about sagging headliners. Try it out. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
For you Antenna guys, here's a seal kit for the antenna:
http://www.parts4vws.com/catal...51753

·
Registered
74 Posts

Below is a picture of my new headliner. I had a shop do it for me back in February for $130.00. While the headliner was down, I placed Dynamat on the entire roof surface and I replaced the plastica antenna base. The Dynamat helped out with less noise when I crank up the stereo.

Gerardo

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: Repairing headliner..anything else I should do? (dasgogo)

If you are using the same material that is currently on the headliner, I recommend you either have a LOT of patients or consider buying new fabric and cutting it to size. If you are planning to use the old material it is helpful to have a couple of extra hands because the fabric is stretched where you need it to lay flat. eg: around the sunroof and by the front windshield. Take your time and it will eventually fit how you want it to. Good luck!
Thanks

·
Registered
7,636 Posts

Jeff- the rubber hoses that connect the drains to the tubes may be rotted. I have seen several that were badly cracked and tore off. They are a surgical rubber type of hose. I expect that kind lasts longer, but I don't know. Anyway it would be a good idea to replace them if you can.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Re: Repairing headliner..anything else I should do? (A2B4guy)

my drain hoses seemed loose so i put some hose clamps on them just to be safe http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
don't use the old fabric
make sure you get headliner fabric with foam on the back.
also when trimming the fabric make sure not to cut to muck off
i could use another 1/4inch around the back of my sunroof. it pops out of the trim piece once in a while

1 - 10 of 10 Posts