VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 golf with an 01m and it's shifting is getting worse. I got a rebuilt valve body from kansas city TDI and it smoothed things out a bit, but I've got a 2-3 flare that's getting worse and some other weird shifting so I'm guessing the tranny's on its way out. The car has 196000 miles on it so I'm debating whether to buy a rebuilt transmission or just get a new car. Does anyone know of any reputable transmission shops in the San Francisco area where I could purchase a rebuilt transmission? I'm kinda tempted to swap it out, but part of me just feels like getting a new car...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have a 2002 golf with an 01m and it's shifting is getting worse. I got a rebuilt valve body from kansas city TDI and it smoothed things out a bit, but I've got a 2-3 flare that's getting worse and some other weird shifting so I'm guessing the tranny's on its way out. The car has 196000 miles on it so I'm debating whether to buy a rebuilt transmission or just get a new car. Does anyone know of any reputable transmission shops in the San Francisco area where I could purchase a rebuilt transmission? I'm kinda tempted to swap it out, but part of me just feels like getting a new car...

Thoughts?
Sounds like you don't love the car. Use the 2+ grand towards a new one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if it's only around 2k, that's not that bad. If I could get another 50k out of it, I'd be happy. While yes, I'm not very attached to the car, I'm more attached to my $$. Honestly, if I didn't have to pay 30k to get a car with adaptive cruise control, I'd do it in a heartbeat... but it just feels like money wasted spending on a car I just use for commuting. Plus, I have an aluminum skid plate, roof racks, and hitch which would need to be replaced... which isn't the end of the world by any means. I have a VW bus and I've rebuilt the engine a few times (in additional to practically everything else on the bus) so working on the car isn't a big deal. I was curious if it's really worth it. But if it's in the range of 2-4k, I think that's not too bad.

Any recommendations for shops in the SF bay area?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard of people doing that, but I don't know if I really want to have a stick, especially with the traffic here. I think stick is great for driving the car around and overall control, but it just drives me bonkers in stop and go traffic :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, if it's only around 2k, that's not that bad. If I could get another 50k out of it, I'd be happy. While yes, I'm not very attached to the car, I'm more attached to my $$. Honestly, if I didn't have to pay 30k to get a car with adaptive cruise control, I'd do it in a heartbeat... but it just feels like money wasted spending on a car I just use for commuting. Plus, I have an aluminum skid plate, roof racks, and hitch which would need to be replaced... which isn't the end of the world by any means. I have a VW bus and I've rebuilt the engine a few times (in additional to practically everything else on the bus) so working on the car isn't a big deal. I was curious if it's really worth it. But if it's in the range of 2-4k, I think that's not too bad.

Any recommendations for shops in the SF bay area?

Thanks!
I'd never give this advice to someone who adores their vehicle:

If you're pretty detached from this Golf, then I'd make a 5 year financial roadmap to help you frame your decisions. Over the next 5 years, how much money do you want to have in savings, retirement, debt payments etc.? Over the same interval, how much are you willing to spend on transportation (include fuel, scheduled maintenance, and emergency costs, insurance...)? Finally, does replacing the transmission fit into that picture?

For shops, I would use Google first to make a list, and use the search function in this forum (VW Vortex) and another (TDI Club) to see if any useful reviews come up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spending the money is not a problem - I can afford it, and based on how much I put into it over the years (not much) spending another 2-3k isn't the end of the world if I get another 30-50k out of it. In the next couple years when the car really dies or it just gets too annoying to maintain, I'll probably purchase a used golf/jetta that has adaptive cruise control (ACC) which is what I really want. If the didn't just offer ACC in the higher end golfs/jettas, then I'd buy a new car now.

I like your suggestion about searching for shops online and then cross-referencing them here.

Thanks!
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts