VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windshield washer fluid hose is finally broken after 3 years. It broke in to half at where the passenger side engine hood hinge is. I bought a hose connector to rejoin the hose together, but since the joint bends when open/close the engine hood, it still leaks a little bit. I plan to replace the whole hose, would anyone have a DIY guide for doing it?
Thank you!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
And wrap it with alot of electrical tape! Mine seems to want to rub at a certain point when I open the hood. Locate any point of rubbing and wrap wrap wrap!

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Re: replace windshield washer fluid hose (jameswzh)

Quote, originally posted by jameswzh »
The windshield washer fluid hose is finally broken after 3 years. It broke in to half at where the passenger side engine hood hinge is. I bought a hose connector to rejoin the hose together, but since the joint bends when open/close the engine hood, it still leaks a little bit. I plan to replace the whole hose, would anyone have a DIY guide for doing it?
Thank you!!

Plenty of us... have used Heavy gauge Surgical Tubing with success.
Personally (4.5 years in Michigan Winters) I have not had the problem.
Use nothing (NOTHING) less than -34F rated Windshield Washer Fluid, Year Round!!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Tim Birney at 7:34 PM 2-16-2010

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Re: replace windshield washer fluid hose (Tim Birney)

Quote, originally posted by Tim Birney »

Plenty of us... have used Heavy gauge Surgical Tubing with success.
Personally (4.5 years in Michigan Winters) I have not had the problem.
Use nothing (NOTHING) leess than -34F rated Widshield Washer Fluid, Year Round!!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Where can you get surgical tubing?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: replace windshield washer fluid hose (DOQ fastlane)

Mine broke as well. I temporarily fixed it with a plastic fitting and have full pressure. But in doing so I cut the wire to the heating element on the nozzle. Any body know if there is an aftermarket solution/replacement for the tubing and wiring. What does the dealer charge for a replacement and install(warranty is up on my car).

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Re: replace windshield washer fluid hose (shadydevil)

Quote, originally posted by shadydevil »
shadydevil said:
I cut the wire to the heating element on the nozzle. Any body know if there is an aftermarket solution/replacement for the tubing and wiring.
shadydevil said:
Hard for me to tell (both washer tube and nozzle heater wiring are wrapped in cloth tape on my 2009 GLI, I hope because of the previous-years' damage issues), but couldn't you just splice the wiring back together? Solder, shrink-tube, and wrap in electrical tape? Might not have much room to work...

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Re: replace windshield washer fluid hose (Marek K)

OK.. so I finally got around to fixing the weak stream from the wiper fluid. Thank god it wasn't the motor.

-
-So I went to Advance Auto, bought a foot of vacuum line.

-
-Cut the damaged section of the hose apart from the heating wire.
-Sliced a 1/2" up on both ends of the vacuum line
-Sprayed some silicone on the outside of the OEM line.
-Slid the new vacuum hose over both ends
-Electric tape TIGHTLY over both split ends... and went over the full length repair twice.
-Finito

-
Works like a charm:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4...41788

·
Registered
339 Posts
I had my indie vw shop fix mine. There was some sort of vw repair kit. A plastic fitting that inserted in between the broken tubing then was shrink wrapped. Had some coupons and the fix plus oil change cost me $136.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Re: (shadydevil)

Here is the VW way to fix it.
http://www.keepandshare.com/do...?dn=y
I went to Autozone help section and found a plastic vacuum hose barb that was a tight fit. Heated up the corrugated hose, and fit them together. Then wrapped in electrical tape as above. Holding well over a year now. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Re: (shadydevil)

Quote, originally posted by shadydevil »
I had my indie vw shop fix mine. There was some sort of vw repair kit. A plastic fitting that inserted in between the broken tubing then was shrink wrapped. Had some coupons and the fix plus oil change cost me $136.

lol, wow, they raped you pretty nicely.
Oil change $65.00 tops
Vacuum line fix $3.00

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: (DOQ fastlane)

If I changed the oil myself it'd be 35 for the oil and maybe 15 for the filter. The shop charges $73 so $23 to have someone change my oil when its around 20degrees outside isn't so bad. And the hose fix well i already botched that once so around $60 keeps me out of the cold trying to fix the wire I cut earlier.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Re: replace windshield washer fluid hose (DOQ fastlane)

Quote, originally posted by DOQ fastlane »

Where can you get surgical tubing?

Google Medical Supplies/Surgical Tubing
Surgical Tubing comes in different sizes, and may be available in your local area.
(We use all different sizes for Model Airplane applications, so check with your loacal Hobby Shops also).

·
Registered
1 Posts
glad i found this thread. . .

The VW dealer closest to me tried to charge me $250 for this exact fix. They also said that it could even be more than that. I couldnt get an exact price from them. (06 gli)

·
Registered
12 Posts
the little "T" shaped hose that connects to the drivers side nozzle of the washer broke on my car somehow. Is this replaceable? I may have to make one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts