VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced my ball joints recently and Im now hearing clunking noises after a few long drives. WHat could be the case. Can TIe Rods make noise like that when they are ruined? SHould I replace them too? Anyone, any ideas?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Re: Replaced ball joints on my VR, but hearing clunking noises...help. (SqnTZVERDERaDo)

I'm thinking it might be the CV joints.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (screwedRado)

It happens when Im getting out of like parking lot ramps, drive ways. Sometimes I hear some noise when Im going over like a rough road! Occasionally on accelaration.

·
Forum Elder
14,567 Posts
Re: (SqnTZVERDERaDo)

Make sure the joints didn't come loose.
Also, check your front motor mount bolt and/or bracket. Put the parking brake on and start to take off in first gear with your hood open. You'll see your motor jump up if the front mount/bolt is broken.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Re: (bulldog2.G)

Quote, originally posted by bulldog2.G »
Front crossmember bushings... Loose subframe... strut bearings....

pretty likely as they did mess with the subframe and stuff...also i think they were playing with the suspension also before this happened (i think)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Re: (GoKart_16v)

check your sway bar bushings. mine are shot and they hit the floor pan when i go in a driveway/parking lot at an angle.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (ridefuel)

Quote, originally posted by ridefuel »
check your sway bar bushings. mine are shot and they hit the floor pan when i go in a driveway/parking lot at an angle.
Im sorry but. floor pan?? What exactly are you talking about.
Quote, originally posted by GoKart_16v »

pretty likely as they did mess with the subframe and stuff...also i think they were playing with the suspension also before this happened (i think)

Yeah, Ty we tightend all the subframe bolts and stuff completely with the right amount of torque. Fernando did it. Plus we checked all the bolts from the R&P. Im gonna have to check mounts. But I have a feeling its tie rods and/or bad CV joints. No one answered if tie rods make noise when they go bad, do they?

Modified by SqnTZVERDERaDo at 9:51 PM 10-30-2006

·
Forum Elder
14,567 Posts

If it were tie rods, you would feel it in the steering and it would probably wonder.
CV joints don't "clunk" when they go bad, they click.
The sway bar itself can be hitting the rear subframe if the bushings are crap. That's what they meant by "floorpan".

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (SLC4EVER)

Quote, originally posted by SLC4EVER »
If it were tie rods, you would feel it in the steering and it would probably wonder.
CV joints don't "clunk" when they go bad, they click.
The sway bar itself can be hitting the rear subframe if the bushings are crap. That's what they meant by "floorpan".

Oh, Okay http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Cool Ill check the swaybar bushings. They are old too. Has any of you changed your swaybar bushings? Did you pry the sway bar out of the rear subframe or did you drop the subframe. I dont like prying the subframe, it can get damaged right?

Modified by SqnTZVERDERaDo at 7:08 AM 10-31-2006

·
Forum Elder
14,567 Posts

Yes, you have to drop the subframe at bit to get the bar out, but you may not have to to swap bushings depending on the bushing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts