VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My knock sensor was trashed, so I replaced it on my 16v Scirocco with CIS-E. Now my car runs like crap. I finally got the idle to settle down a little by playing with the idle screw, but the idle is very bumpy and still jumps around some. What could this be from? Idle was pretty good before I replaced the knock sensor.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Replaced knock sensor, now engine runs like crap!?!? (rockin16v)

I'm using the type II sensor, not the type I. Bentley says to torque the type II sensor between 11 and 18 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
Re: Replaced knock sensor, now engine runs like crap!?!? (humpnyomom)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm using the type II sensor, not the type I. Bentley says to torque the type II sensor between 11 and 18 ft/lbs.[HR][/HR]​
I set mine to 15 and its fine. Did you upgrade the connector to one with gold pins as well?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Replaced knock sensor, now engine runs like crap!?!? (humpnyomom)

Hmmm....Okay, how's this for a wild theory:
I know that my Motronic 2.0 16v has this adaptive functionality to it. In other words, it self-adjusts to bad stuff. I found out about this when I noticed a wire had come loose from its spade connector on the head. I have no idea how long it had been disconnected. It was located towards the passenger side. I think it was one of the two knock sensors, but I'm not shure.
Anyhow... for the first two or three cold starts after re-connecting, The Pig ran and sounded like ass (I love that phrase, dunno what it means, tho.) But by the fourth cold start, everything was fine...ran better than ezra.
So, I see yr '86 'rocco has a 2.0 16v. Could it be that mebbe your engine mgmt thingy has the same adaptive whatchamacallit? How many cold starts didja give it until you made the adjustments?
I could be way wrong, but I thought I'd give it a shot...Does this make any sense to anyone else? Good luck,
P.S. In the future Mr. Clever Signon, it would be to yr benefit to leave my mommy out of this...besides, she's 5' 11", abt 245# and has a tattoo on each forearm of nekkid women with hairy moles for b**bies....No wait, that's my dad....uh, never mind

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.