VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished replacing the passenger side axle / half-shaft and I now have a bad virbration between 3500 and 4000 RPM's. It almost feels like a bad engine mount, but I can't imagine this would have magically developed as a result.
Car is 1999.5 MKIV GTI 2.0 AEG...
Thoughts?

· Registered
7 Posts
Re: Replaced Passenger Side Axle... New Vibration at 4K RPMS?? (Geesixty)

Wow, welcome to the club. Where did you get your axle from?
I am getting another axle to put in tonight. I'll let you know the results. This time I am going to make sure that everything is torqued correctly.

· Registered
2,715 Posts
Check the Hub nut. If there is ANY play with it you will experience a wobble at varying speeds.
I'm guessing that you mean 3.5-4K in first... what about 2nd and 3rd? etc... If it's an RPM issue then it's has nothing to do with the axle which is mph based, not rpm

· Registered
7 Posts
Although I don't think it is the axle itself since it's RPM based I think it may be a result of having a new axle putting a new pressure on the transmission & motor mounts. They may have worn with the old axle and now things are just in a different place. If replacing the axle again tonight doesn't fix it then I'm going after the dogbone and engine mounts.

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (theBixcuit)

Quote, originally posted by theBixcuit »
Although I don't think it is the axle itself since it's RPM based I think it may be a result of having a new axle putting a new pressure on the transmission & motor mounts. They may have worn with the old axle and now things are just in a different place. If replacing the axle again tonight doesn't fix it then I'm going after the dogbone and engine mounts.

I tend to agree with you. My vibration is DEFINTELY engine related, as it occurs even when the car is not moving in neutral. The axle was made by EMPI and the hub nut was torqued with an impact wrench to about 200 Ft Lbs. The inner CV bolts were torqued to about 30-35 ft lbs.

· Registered
11,323 Posts
Re: (theBixcuit)

Quote, originally posted by theBixcuit »

I replaced the dogbone mount and that didn't cure it - I thought it could have been the pass-side mount but was tired of throwing parts at the problem.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Hope you guys have better luck!

· Registered
7 Posts
Replaced the axle and verified all torques according to the specs. I even went as far as doing the turn back 90 deg then tighten 60deg steps. It seems a little more subtle, but still there. Engine mounts are on the way. I inspected the dogbone and it looks OK.

· Registered
19 Posts
Re: (Geesixty)

I know some time has passed since this conversation was going but.... what was the solution? It sounds like you (thebixcuit) weren't alone and now I have the exact problem.
No resonance/vibration before the axle swap and now I have it. Very mysterious because this 3700 rpm vibration can be felt even when sitting stationary in the garage revving the motor so those new axles aren't even turning! Of course it is much worse when there is engine load.
Did the motor mount do it?
Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.