VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have seen my other posts, I was having a loose feeling in the steering for a while, as if the wheel was not directly connected to the wheels. Tie rods ends, ball joints, control arm bushings are new. Then replaced rear axle bushings because they were bad. I found one of the tie rod boots was torn and had fluid leaking out, so my friend and I replaced the rack (along with timing chains, clutch and a bunch of other things). Now the steering feels much worse, as if it barely attached to the wheels. I put in a fresh 1L can of pentosin, I have no idea what the problem could be. Is there some period of time or some way that the fluid has to circulate through the whole rack, and there is air in there right now?

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
Re: Replaced power steering rack. Now steering feels terrible (VR6 Mk3)

Did u bleed the system?
is it making noise?
did u get the car alligned?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Replaced power steering rack. Now steering feels terrible (VRpoweredA2)

Like I said, I just poured a liter of pentosin into the reservoir. A friend suggested to me to jack up the front and slowly turn the wheel back and forth and allow the air to escape. I did this a few times, and it seemed to help a little bit, but it still feels as if the steering wheel is not directly connected to the tires somehow. I did not get an alignment yet, I don't want to pay $70 if I'm going to have to take it apart again when it is not right afterwords. The best way that I can describe it is imagine trying to turn the steering wheel, but a section of the steering rod is made from rubber isntead of steel, and thats what it feels like on and off.
When I drive down the road, if you turn the wheel quickly back and forth, the car used to react very quickly and sharply. Now it is more of a slightly less sharp turn, and then it continues to turn softly afterwords, like the steering is catching up. If i do a sharp 360* turn, the wheel does not always return to the same position right away when I turn back.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Is there any increased effort in your steering? If so maybe your pump grenaded.
If you replaced your rack and you did not bleed the system down properly there is probably air in there somewhere. Also running a powersteering pump low on fluid is a very bad thing. If it is now making a loud whining sound you may have damaged it. A good way to see if there is air in the system is to let the car run for a while and then turn it off and remove the reservior cap. If the fluid is milky looking it has air entrapped in it. If it clear and looks just like the oil as it came out of the jug then air is not your porblem.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Replaced power steering rack. Now steering feels terrible (r6&vr6)

I didn't see anything milky when I look in there. I drove around in circles back and forth for a bit and it seemed to get a bit better. I can hear the pump when I turn the wheels at very slow speeds, but its not what I would call excessively loud.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts

Does it feel like there's power steering or is it extremely hard to turn the wheels now?
Are the rack end boots filling up with fluid???
Since you did remove the rack, its likely the toe is wayyyyyy out of spec. now...that will cause it to react funny while driving, especially if the wheels are pointed in opposite directions http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by _GoatPunishment_ at 12:47 AM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Replaced power steering rack. Now steering feels terrible (_GoatPunishment_)

No, it is never hard to turn the wheel. I don't think the boots should be filling with fluid, as it is a brand new rack, and the same problem exists before and after I replaced it
. Sears did manage to twist/tear the crap out of one of the boots when they did my alignment though.
I took the car to a local shop because I was going on vacation and was sick of dealing with it (and it decided not to start any more...bad MAF
). I need to car to be fixed by next week because I am making a long distance move, but the shop seems to be taking their time to look at it.
Its just one thing after another with this car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts