VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, hope summer is treating everyone well. I just replaced my RH battery, while the LH AGM battery had been replaced several months earlier. At some point both batteries died. So I went ahead and bought a new VW RH spec battery, installed it, but dash lit up with a brake fault and won’t start. Do I need to charge the LHS battery? Can this be done without removing it? I have an intelligent charger I can use, but from experience, I know if the battery is drained that would not be of use. The other issue I have is the key stays in the ignition after any attempt to start it. Can I jump start the car with a new RH battery just installed in hopes the the LH AGM battery revives? Any thoughts suggestion would be helpful.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Did you try the emergency start procedure?

I usually have to do that if my left battery has been recharged and pretty much any time the batteries have been disconnected.

I would charge the left battery. You don't have to remove it.

The car will keep the key if the left battery is dead.

Doing the emergency start procedure would probably free the key unless the left battery is too dead.

Putting a jump box on a dead left battery will allow the key to be removed. Been there, done that recently.

If you decide to remove the left battery, follow the replacement procedure. I don't think anybody has blown the pyrotechnic device but you don't want to be the first.

Battery replacement procedure | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, I will be getting a booster in the morning. I’ll connect it straight to the LH AGM battery directly, while the new right hand battery is also connected and see what happens. Just before you replied I watched something on recharging a dead battery using a CTEC Multi US 7002 charger to recharge and recondition the dead AGM battery.Nonetheless,I’m anxious to get it back on the road,will keep you posted thanks.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I put mine on a charger a few hours ago.

I opened the doors by touch (it took a few pulls to wake up) and opened the trunk lid using the fob. When I connected the charger, the left battery was down to just over 11 volts and 30 some %. The ZAB was awake so I locked the doors. When I went back in the house the battery was up to 12V and 37%.

I expect it will take a bit more than 24 hours to charge to 100%.

Don't worry if yours takes a full day or longer to fully charge. That's normal. Even if the battery is out of the car, it normally takes a full day to trickle charge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally put a booster on the dead AGM battery, all the lights came on...but didn’t what to crank. Another peculiar thing is when we removed the key from the ignition, lights on the dash stayed on! Any thoughts as to why this would occur?

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I finally put a booster on the dead AGM battery, all the lights came on...but didn’t what to crank. Another peculiar thing is when we removed the key from the ignition, lights on the dash stayed on! Any thoughts as to why this would occur?
The car woke up. That's my guess. The key can be in your pocket and the car will wake up. I have to lock it from the passenger door to turn off the ZAB on mine. Turning on the alarm also works. It will eventually go back to sleep on its own but I don't like to wait. (Battery drain, bla, bla, bla.)

Did you just put the booster on the battery to remove the key or did you charge the battery?

Did you scan it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello, I just put a booster on the AGM to see If I could start it. Should I leave the booster on the AGM to charge it? Usually these booster packs are for jump starting, I’m not sure if I leave on the AGM for 10 or 20 mins is a good idea. My problem is the car is in an underground parking spot, and I can’t even get a towing truck to get it out of there. I have a VW dealer who is willing to send someone to swap out the AGM battery. Yesterday, I had the Indy garage I work with send one of its techs over with the booster, and he thought that the car should have started with the booster pack, he felt there might be an issue with the ignition switch.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Why not just take the VPS battery out of the car and charge it? It's pretty easy to get out, getting it back in is a little more challenging, I ended up tilting mine rather than trying to keep it level and it was fine.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Hello, I just put a booster on the AGM to see If I could start it. Should I leave the booster on the AGM to charge it? Usually these booster packs are for jump starting, I’m not sure if I leave on the AGM for 10 or 20 mins is a good idea. My problem is the car is in an underground parking spot, and I can’t even get a towing truck to get it out of there. I have a VW dealer who is willing to send someone to swap out the AGM battery. Yesterday, I had the Indy garage I work with send one of its techs over with the booster, and he thought that the car should have started with the booster pack, he felt there might be an issue with the ignition switch.
When the car carrier delivered 8486 to me, it wouldn't start. The car carrier driver put a jump box on the terminals under the hood. I didn't think that would work, but he started it right up.

Did you try the emergency start procedure? That doesn't need a jump box.

You turn the key Counter Clockwise (left). You should hear the relay click. Then you turn the key Clockwise (right) to start. I have to do that all the time if the AGM battery has been dead and recharged or if it's been removed and replaced. It also usually works if the AGM is flat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts