VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo, i've went through 3 autozone starters; they all seemed to work for the first 10 starts then died. I just recently had the original starter rebuilt for 55 bucks and he even tested it in front of me and it worked great Then.....i get home install it and nothing, nothing at all?? Ok, i replaced the copper bushing(sleeve) the battery is reading 12 volts, and i put in a new ignition switch. So now i just wanted to ask the community what you thought, because now this problem looks like it might be more than the starter itself, anyway, im completely lost here.
Any feedback would be great. I just want my car to start!!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
did you replace the starter bushing its only like 65 cents and it can casue starters to go bad, i wish i had more insight. good luck

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Re: replaced starter 4 times, car no go? hlp pls! (jimbones)

is the starter not turning at all? Is the exciter wire from the altenator connected?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

not turning at all and yes it has a brand new bushing. The exciter wire, would that be one of the 2 wires(minus batterry cable) that plug into the solenoid, if so,i think , but will deffinately look into that,
thanks

·
Registered
6,357 Posts

it would still start without the alternator exciter wire

make sure you have the solenoid activation wire on the right connector
and also make sure the mounting surface for the starter is clean, so it has a good ground
after that add a ground wire to the starter straight to the battery

·
Registered
550 Posts
Re: replaced starter 4 times, car no go? hlp pls! (verboten1)

can you hear the solenoid engaging? also: does the engine turn over at all, and is the starter getting hot upon repeated start attempts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts