VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cross-posted at Mk2 forum also.

It's beginning to look like I may have a bad ECU in my Mk1 Caddy with 2.0 16v 9A. Need to know how many of the ECU variations from Passats, GTIs and GLIs will work. The Caddy is a 5 speed.

The current (apparently bad) ECU is 893-907-404-F or Bosch 0-261-200-228.

The Motronic swap info on scirocco.org makes it look as if ECU starting with 8A0 will work. A quick search has found a couple possibilities:

8A0-907-404-F
893-907-404-M

Anyone have any information on differences between the 893 and 8A0 parts? Or the differences between the F and M suffixes? A re-read of the info on scirocco.org makes it sound like the difference between 893 and 8A0 numbers is that the 8A0 has a replaceable chip, while the 893 is soldered on the board. For my purposes, that is not an important difference if true.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
If soldered on it can be de soldered and replaced with a new chip from TTuning for 16V’s. I’ve had an Mk3 done this way by a local Amp/music instrument place. So there is a socket adaptor that can be soldered in and then pop a chip in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 2 of 2 Posts