VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My headlights have been out and I was driving at night and all of a sudden a curb outta nowhere. My right axle cracks in half and it looks like my control arm is bent. I dont know much about cars but I guess I know a little bit, Ive never worked on a car. I was just wondering how hard it would be to replace these myself cuz I dont have the money for labor and I would actually like to know how to do it. what kind of tools would I need? should I really attempt this myself? what size axle would a 87 16v need, a 100mm or 90mm?

· Registered
25,026 Posts
Re: (TheStranger)

If you snapped the axle you hit very hard. All that energy will go right through the subframe. Either way it would be a pretty big challenge for somebody who never touched a car before to change an axle and a control arm.

· Registered
25,026 Posts

Do you have a good selection of tools? What are you gonna do if you get stuck? What if you break a control arm bolt? What if you get it all apart and you see the subframe is bent? Just some things to think about. There is much easier ways to learn then something like that. Just my opinion but it is your choice.

· Registered
25,026 Posts

Really the only way to tell is by looking at it with a trained eye. Then once you get the stuff replaced you put it on an alignment rack. As for the price? All really depends on what the labor rate is. I would imagine they charge you two hours or more plus an alignment. Maybe have somebody come over and help you. One of your friends that knows something about cars. That way you save money and learn yet not get stuck at some point.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, it sucks being the only one around this town who owns a mk2. most of my friends dont now crap about cars. I mean if the subframe is damaged is it still a good car, I mean like can it be fixed? I would do anything to keep this car no matter how many times when it rains I have lake michigan in my passenger side.

· Registered
25,026 Posts

Well your gonna need a basic metric socket and wrench set. A 12 point triple square drive socket or bit. A 30mm socket and breaker bar. First break free the 30mm axle nut. They are on there tight hense the reason for the breaker bar. Do that with the car on the ground. Then jack it up and set it on a jackstand. Unbolt the 3 13mm ball joint bolts. Pull hub assembly outwards. Axle end should pop out then. Now take off the inner drive bolts on the axle. Remove axle. Now take the two bolts out of the control arm and remove. Hopefully you get control arms with bushings already installed. It's not that it is extremely hard to do. It's just alot of things that can go wrong.

· Registered
1,491 Posts
it a deffiantly a chore get a freind to lend a hand especially in braking the axl nut , have tyou freind put the brakes on while you turn the wrench
and soak every nut/bolt than you need to turn in PB blaster (red/black/yellow can) 20 minutes b4 you start
you will save so much effort

and fix the leaks soon and keep you carpet dry, or the floor will rust out, it happens faster than you think

Modified by gillano at 10:57 PM 11-23-2006

· Registered
6,480 Posts
Re: Replacing axle and control arm (TheStranger)

Quote, originally posted by TheStranger »
So my headlights have been out and I was driving at night and all of a sudden a curb outta nowhere.

New sig material?

· Banned
9,057 Posts
Re: (Mr. Knappy)

Quote, originally posted by Mr. Knappy »
Yeh the subframe can be replaced. That is one hell of a job though. If I was closer I'd help you out.

i did this with help from my dad and my uncle who are both very mechanical but it was a terrible job to do on axle stands

but for the C - Arm and the Axle i think those are 2 of the easiest jobs to do on my car - it was one of the first things ii replaced on my jetta

As for parts http://www.bestpricecarparts.com and if you find it cheaper elsewhere let me know and i will see what i can do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.