VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 99 MKIV has 145K miles on it and it's making some noise up front. The dealer said I needed to replace the front control arm bushings, and quoted me $700. Rather than having them replace just the bushings, I purchased a pair of control arms for a total of $130 with shipping from GermanAutoParts.com.

Since I have the parts, how much is reasonable for replacement and alignment?

Thanks,

- Jeremy.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
$700 :eek:

i pulled and re-installed my control arms myself in about 2 hours. and that was not knowing wtf i was doing for the most part.

can't imagine it would cost that much if you took it to a vw shop.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$700 :eek:

i pulled and re-installed my control arms myself in about 2 hours. and that was not knowing wtf i was doing for the most part.

can't imagine it would cost that much if you took it to a vw shop.
Control arms from the dealer were over $200 each, which is why I purchased them aftermarket. That would leave $300 for labor. I'm hoping it's not much over that, but if you did them yourself in 2 hours, I'm sure a tech can do them in that time...which would be $200 labor at their rate of $100 p/hour...

Thanks for the response :beer:

- Jeremy.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Control arms from the dealer were over $200 each, which is why I purchased them aftermarket. That would leave $300 for labor. I'm hoping it's not much over that, but if you did them yourself in 2 hours, I'm sure a tech can do them in that time...which would be $200 labor at their rate of $100 p/hour...

Thanks for the response :beer:

- Jeremy.
It's not about how long it takes the tech to do them, it's about how long they decide to say it took them. IMO do a bit more research around local shops before you decide to settle for the dealer.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Dood seriously if you have any limited knowledge about a car you can do this. Assuming you have access to basic tools...SAFELY jack the car up, then you're going to take a total of 5 bolts out on each sides (3 for the ball joint, 1 for the front bushing, 1 for the rear bushing). It shouldn't take more than a couple hours even if you're clueless. Save yourself some money :thumbup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
do it your self but i understand if you a boss you could pay some one els too do it for u

a normal shop should charge you 150 for labor no more than a 1 1/2 or less:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Don't spend that much.

If you are cheap like me, you could buy new ones for $21 a piece from rothenbacher.

Things to consider......they weighed 1 pound less than stock and many people hate rothenbacher.

But so far my car is riding well. I don't autocross or anything. I bought a motor mount from him and it was identical, I mean identical to the one from Oreilly Auto Parts.

Some wrenches, jack stands and a few hours and its done.

oh yeah ECS has them for $50

1 - 12 of 12 Posts