VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So you got a MIL and it came up with a couple of different codes pointing to your Flap motor being stuck open or basic settings being incomplete. Here is a quick DIY for changing that bitch.

It is a fairly simple procedure but it's a little tight but work through it and you'll be fine.

DISCLAIMER: Work on your car at your own risk. Do not blame me if you break something, strip a bolt or maim/kill yourself in the process.

TOOLS needed:
Flat screwdriver
T30 torx bit in a ratchet (if you want to, you can grind the bit down to make it shorter but it worked for me just fine without grinding)
T30 torx key (like an allen key but with t30 torx) - optional
New flap motor
VAG-COM (to run basic settings)

TIME needed:
30 minutes to an hour

PITA factor:
3 out of 10

Prestep: Remove the engine cover if you have it. Skip the prestep if you have an CAI.

Step 1: Locate the IMRC motor.
It's on the driver's side of the engine, under the HPFP on the side of the intake manifold. See the pic below, its circled in red.

Step 2: Remove the wiring harness that's in the way.
Just unplug all connectors that you see attached to that big harness. Throttle body, HPFP, the motor itself, etc. It will make life a little easier. Don't worry about re-connecting - they all fit one way and you can't plug it in wrong. See pic.

Step 3: Remove the three (3) T30 torx bolts holding the motor to the intake manifold and unclip the relay rod.
It is a bit of a PITA since there's little room down there and you can't really see the bolts. There are 2 at the front and 1 in the back of the motor. Feel around for them and remove them with a T30 bit in a ratchet or a T30 key. Unclip the relay rod from the motor, it just pops off.

Step 4:
Remove the old motor.

Step 5: Reinstall/recommend the new motor.
Make sure the tab in the front lines up with the little hole. See pic. Also, put a little grease on the relay rod ball. I also recommend putting the bolts through the motor first and then sliding it up into place. Try to screw the bolts in by hand as much as you can, it'll save you some time.
Reconnect all the plugs on the harness. Like I said before - they only clip on one way. Install engine cover.

Step 6: VAG-COM time.

From www.ross-tech.com (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/2.0l_TFSI_(AXX/BGB/BPJ/BPY/BWA)#Basic_Setting)

Intake Manifold Runner

Prerequisites:

* Ignition ON
* Engine OFF
* System voltage at least 11.0 V.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 142
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
Wait until Field 4 shows "ADP. O.K.".
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

* Switch Ignition OFF for at least 60 seconds.

That's it, you're done. Go drink yourself into a stupor to celebrate another victory! :laugh:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Super explanation!
I already drive a 50 kkm with this problem.
I'm tired and I need to change this manifuld runner motor.:mad:
But I didn't felt any negative efekts due to this fault.:sly:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Super explanation!
I already drive a 50 kkm with this problem.
I'm tired and I need to change this manifuld runner motor.:mad:
But I didn't felt any negative efekts due to this fault.:sly:
Thank you. I don't know what the negative effect of having a bad motor are...besides a Check Engine light and let throttle response.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ON step # 1 picture said locate IPM, what is it the hose that shoots down for? i broke that piece with the pastic connect to inner side by the yanking the Flap Rod, can someone please help?

now i have shaky idle and hard to stop the car while braking, have to step real hard to stop
this is emergency. please help!!!

thank you so much

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ON step # 1 picture said locate IPM, what is it the hose that shoots down for? i broke that piece with the pastic connect to inner side by the yanking the Flap Rod, can someone please help?

now i have shaky idle and hard to stop the car while braking, have to step real hard to stop
this is emergency. please help!!!

thank you so much
I'm not sure, I think you should stop by the dealer and get yourself a new hose asap.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry to bring this back.

Can't one just disconnect the battery for a few minutes then re-connect to reset everything? I have to replace mine, I have the part in, I just don't have vag-com:banghead:
No. Disconnecting the battery won't do the job. You have to get the ECU to run its adaptation function for the flapper motor. Disconnecting the battery won't do that. You'll have to find someone with vag-com to help you with this. Until then, the new flapper motor might throw codes or not position the flap properly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
No. Disconnecting the battery won't do the job. You have to get the ECU to run its adaptation function for the flapper motor. Disconnecting the battery won't do that. You'll have to find someone with vag-com to help you with this. Until then, the new flapper motor might throw codes or not position the flap properly.
OK, Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be making an appointment at the stealership. :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just received a Warranty Extension for the Intake Manifold Runner Control Motor (and PCV). Guess I can just take this up with the dealer now.

:thumbup:
Yeah, got mine yesterday. The day after I had it adapted, three days after I installed, and three weeks after I paid for it. I thought that was special.:banghead:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.